• Site Update Notice - See Details Here: https://thewaterheater.net/forum/threads/3596/

Emotionally Bob Ross

Just curious - what do the words « room temperature » mean to you? :grin:
To me, those words mean:

Room: A (usually enclosed or otherwise separated) space within a building. Often but not necessarily devoted to a specific purpose.

Temperature: A measure of how warm or cold it is.

Meanwhile, living in a cold climate makes you underdress as soon as it looks like it might be about to resemble spring outside. And then suddenly it's snowing again, and you're stuck with your sneakers and your thin sweater like a moron, every year without fail.

...it's 16C and I was just out in shorts and a zip up hoodie

Last edited:
My heating is on 18c.
If I'm feeling like I really want to feel toasty, I might crack it up all the way to 20c.

Edit:
I probably would have left it even lower, and put on something heavier than a t-shirt, if it didn't affect my cat. (Anything colder than that and she turns into a lethargic ball of fur.)

Last edited:
...it's 16C and I was just out in shorts and a zip up hoodie

The shorts, I get in that weather, but the hoodie feels a bit excessive.

If the sun is out and I am wearing any sort of coat, I start sweating pretty quickly and get too hot. The threshold is around 40-50F (5-10C) between comfortable in layers and uncomfortable in layers on a sunny day.

I leave my thermostat on at 65 (18c) during the winter. Unless it's below zero outside and the cold radiates through the walls / windows, I am still plenty comfortable. Summer.. AC is expensive so I manage. Plus it's broken and I need to figure out if just the fan motor needs to be replaced. Unit turns on, compressor works, but fan doesn't run.. so compressor overheats, pressure release valve gets triggered (hissing sound).. so I turn it off and haven't in a couple years. I probably suffer in misery maybe 15 days out of the year. Only when we have those stretches of 90+ days and it doesn't get cold enough at night, and even if I open every single window.. the house is still 10+ degrees over the lows.

But really, I am waiting on the IRA rebates which probably won't kick in until 2025 sadly. No point fixing / replacing my AC when I can get 8k off a new heatpump.

Last edited:
In physics, room temperature is generally taken to be 300K, which is just under 27C.

as in what is my ideal room temperature? Probably around 25c.

Ew. The internet tells me that works out to 77f. I start melting at about 72f.

We have this discussion every year and I still think it's funny. :smile:

You (and people who live in the US South) can tolerate quite a lot higher levels of heat than I can but I'm comfortable at cooler temps that would apparently kill you. :wink:

Now that I think about it, Iceland weather was basically perfect. 40s and partly-mostly cloudy with morning sun. I was a very happy camper lol.

One day was kinda miserable with cold rain, but otherwise we had perfect weather.

My house thermostat is set to 75F in the winter. This is because my house is drafty. My house likes to think it's 75 when it's cold AF. But the second the outside temp goes up, 75 is far too much. I usually set the AC to something like 69F in the summer.

What I'm saying is, my house is a sieve.

My house thermostat is set to 75F in the winter. This is because my house is drafty. My house likes to think it's 75 when it's cold AF. But the second the outside temp goes up, 75 is far too much. I usually set the AC to something like 69F in the summer.

What I'm saying is, my house is a sieve.
Mine is pretty drafty. No floor insulation over ventilated crawl space. Certainly helps in the summer. But of course the winter means more heating.

I think the walls / windows are sealed up well enough for the age of the house (1972). The windows are newer, since the other homes w/o new windows have old aluminum frames.

What in the vore?

That MIGHT have required a little more context. It was a callback to how - in most cases - I mistake Bisected's cosplay materials for food. Thankfully, I've eaten dinner so...probably less of a chance of that happening :grin:

---

Dunno what the temp is, but I know we've hit that annoying "dress in layers" part of the year, and you all know what comes next: "Fuck the Sun" season! Thankfully I live in what might be considered a cave (by location), but there's only so much heavy lifting a little shade can do.

Meanwhile, living in a cold climate makes you underdress as soon as it looks like it might be about to resemble spring outside. And then suddenly it's snowing again, and you're stuck with your sneakers and your thin sweater like a moron, every year without fail.

Nah we just put on a hoodie and keep the shorts on.

If it's above 0c, it's shorts weather.

Three cool things happened today.

1. My brother got married. This is huge. I never expected him to get married.

2. A thing happened at work that I specifically warned against and was ignored. This made me happy.

3. I got an email I was hoping to get that has promise to make some waves in my life hopefully for the positive.

Three cool things happened today.

1. My brother got married. This is huge. I never expected him to get married.

2. A thing happened at work that I specifically warned against and was ignored. This made me happy.

3. I got an email I was hoping to get that has promise to make some waves in my life hopefully for the positive.

that's pretty cool ! are you comfortable saying what 3 is?

Man.

I can't believe it's been 11 years today since the Boston Marathon bombing. Why's it feel like just a couple years ago?

I was still in college. One of my professors had a son in Boston that day. He said that if his son & his girlfriend hadn't decided to move farther down the line they would have been right where the bomb went off. It was the only time I ever saw that man at a loss for words.

Jesus, it really was 11 years ago, wasn't it?

Time flies.

It really does.

Back
Top Bottom