• Site Update Notice - See Details Here: https://thewaterheater.net/forum/threads/3596/

Official UK Political Megathread

Some have suggested he is more likely to push for a new general election than step down personally. I'm curious to see what will happen,

Some have suggested he is more likely to push for a new general election than step down personally. I'm curious to see what will happen,
This is a threat aimed at rebel Tories - everybody knows if there's an election right now they'll get flattened. "Leave me in charge or you're all coming down with me." One of the things that makes the 1922 Committee's decision to wait interesting, as I'm fairly sure there's nothing actually stopping him from doing this until he loses a confidence vote.

Radio 4 Today Programme has it that Boris is standing down.

I saw that there had been 53 resignations to date and apparently the newly appointed Education Secretary (in post for two days) is the most recent resignation.

I hope that he really will resign and ideally get out of politics entirely as it’s not an arena for which I think he is well suited.

BBC is saying that he's going to step down as Tory leader but remains as PM until August.

Not good enough, get him gone immediately.

They need to have someone running the show so there’s a leadership contest to be run. The bright side of his resignation is that he won’t be in a position to do anything particularly damaging, more than he’s done already anyway, as his authority will be entirely gone.

You sound like anarchy isn't what I'm hoping to be achieved.

I saw that there had been 53 resignations to date and apparently the newly appointed Education Secretary (in post for two days) is the most recent resignation.

I hope that he really will resign and ideally get out of politics entirely as it’s not an arena for which I think he is well suited.

I mean... with the current context, if Boris resigns, there are greater chances for Winston Churchill's zombie to become prime minister. Or Theresa May.

That's it for him - that's why he's pulling all the stops. There's no going back from this.

BBC is saying that he's going to step down as Tory leader but remains as PM until August.

Not good enough, get him gone immediately.

maybe that is for procedural reasons? Stays PM until Tory appoint new leader? or can you have no prime minister at all for a period of time? how does that work?

Edit:

Also!

Here is the link for the above autoembedded media.

Last edited:
maybe that is for procedural reasons? Stays PM until Tory appoint new leader? or can you have no prime minister at all for a period of time? how does that work?

It is for procedural reasons. Essentially he will resign as Prime Minister, and by extension leader of the Conservative party and then essentially caretake the leadership of the party and position of Prime Minister until the leadership election completes and a new person takes on the role and Prime Ministership.

It's funny how for the last 12 years the UK political system has been a cycle of prime ministers all resigning.

It's like people keep voting for absolute bastards who cause one scandal after another.

Edit: this should be EU not UK

It's funny how for the last 12 years the UK political system has been a cycle of prime ministers all resigning.

It's like people keep voting for absolute bastards who cause one scandal after another.

Mind you, he didn't say he resigned, he simply said that he will do teh job until a new leader is elected.

I just ... lol'd. What a guy, what absolutely unimaginable ego, coupled with the utter impossibility to even accept the chance he may be in the wrong.

Mind you, he didn't say he resigned, he simply said that he will do teh job until a new leader is elected.

I just ... lol'd. What a guy, what absolutely unimaginable ego, coupled with the utter impossibility to even accept the chance he may be in the wrong.

And not a flicker of recognition that he’d done anything to precipitate this happening. I also quite enjoyed him referring to his MPs as a herd, it did conjure up a fun mental image.

Well it's better than the US where we keep voting the same people in every year, despite scandals.
My political affiliation could be accurately described as.. anti-incumbent until term limits ever become a thing. Which will be never, why would anyone vote themselves out of power and money.

Last edited:
7CUhOcr.jpg

I mean I agree there's a lot of "damaging and inappropriate nonsense being forced on [children] by radical activists" but I doubt that conservatives are self-aware enough to realize that.

The current situation of every notable tory putting themselves forward for leadership would be hilarious if not for the fact that the rotting corpse the carrion are fighting over is the future of the country.

Back
Top Bottom