• Posting this again since Readout asked about it today - the Train Graveyard is hidden for everyone, including admin, to clean up the front page of this forum. If you want access to see old threads you can be added.

Getting Steam on my TV

Flippy

Weird Forum Thing
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
So since we have established that this part of the forum is kinda free for all for all sorts of support questions, I'm gonna put it right here.

As I had mentioned, I got a new TV. Big LG OLED thing.

The "problem" I have is that it runs on webOS. By itself that's fine but there is no Steam Link app available.

Now I've been wondering how to best get Steam on the big screen.

The most simplistic solution would of course be just a long cable, but not only would that deteriorate the 4K signal, but I also don't want to permanently put a cable through my living room, and I would have to work with a HDMI switch, which I have but this would be unelegant.

So there are several tech solutions to this (Chromecast w/ Android TV, nVidia Shield, Raspberri Pi), but I... have no idea what would be the most practical solution. Obviously it's important to me that there's not too much latency, and I'd like to have it in 4K without any visual fragments. Also... I know these things go from cheap to pretty pricey, but if I'm going to invest a bunch of money in something I want it to be worth it to me.

I'm generally tech savvy and have learned programming basics, and I understand how tech and programming logics work, so as long as it's not TOO complex I can handle things. And no I have never used or looked into Raspberry Pi.

I could probably figure a couple of these things out myself, but I thought I'd ask for your collective already existing expertise on that matter.

Thanks peeps!

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Don't try and get your Raspberry pi to work for streaming, learn from my mistakes.

I think what you want is a Steam Link, I think Readout got once when they were being sold cheaply?

Readout

Leader of the Resistance in Government
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I'm actually going through exactly this same thing with my wife's study - LG OLED TV that wants be used for PC gaming. Not as far as I gather yours is going (it's just from the desk at one of the room to the TV on the other), but far enough that I'd like something more elegant than running a cable.

Sadly, where I've ended up is that, like it or not, cables are the best solution.

I've used a few Steam Link things. We actually own one of the Steam Link boxes.* They're fine. They're a lot better than nothing. And I've put in a decent chunk of gaming on it. But they aren't seamless. And when the lag kicks in (which it will inevitably do), it's pretty annoying and disruptive, whether that's in the sense of skipped frames or (sometimes disturbingly large) visual artefacts. And sometimes they just don't work or your computer throws up a something or whatever and you have to go to the computer to sort things out. Also, if you want the best streaming results, a wired ethernet connection on both ends is an absolute must. Streaming over wifi is a disappointing experience.

If you can't use a cable, Steam Link is a good compromise. It's also very easy to run on a Pi - just install it and go - and I'd be happy to help set that up if it's the route you want to go. I've had better success with that than Kris, apparently, though I also have a newer and more powerful Raspberry Pi, so perhaps that is why.

But, sadly, I think that a long cable, pinned to the ceiling or the wall, is by far the best option.

*These are no longer available to buy. They discontinued the dedicated hardware (which was when I got one cheaply, as Kris says), and now it's just available as software.

Last edited:

Prime3k

Presidents are temporary. Wu-Tang is forever.
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
If you enable wireless screen mirroring, you could set the TV up as an extra display. Though you'd need your PC on, and you'd get video/audio lag.

Amarus

Profesionql kyebord typsit;
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
One thing to note, Steam Link will use your monitors' resolution as the maximum supported resolution for streaming. Destination screen's resolution doesn't matter.
There might be some way to trick it to unlock higher resolutions, but I haven't attempted that so I can't comment.

RPI isn't worth it if that's your only use.

Steam Link boxes are discontinued, I have one that somehow bricked itself but even before it did that I had already switched to using the Steam Link app available for Android TV.

The Steam Link app on my Android TV is what I still use now to play from my couch. It works fine for me, but then again I have 1080 monitors so I haven't attempted streaming 4K.
I currently have the PC and TV connected by cables to a different wireless mesh repeater each. (I'm planning to run a couple of ethernet cables around my studio's perimeter to have everything fully weird, but that's a different topic.)

A "Chromecast with Google TV" (talk about terrible branding) should theoretically be able to run Steam Link, but from a quick search it seems that people have reported mixed results so I'm not sure I'd recommend that.

An Nvidia Shield (even the cheapest cylindrical model) shouldn't have any issues handling Steam Link.

Side note:
There's also Nvidia's streaming solution if you have one of their GPUs. The official application only runs on the Shield, but there's an opensource implementation called Moonlight.
Last I've compared the two, Steam Link won for me but it has been a few years since I tried that.

Last edited:

Readout

Leader of the Resistance in Government
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
There might be some way to trick it to unlock higher resolutions, but I haven't attempted that so I can't comment.

It is possible, but requires either a dummy HDMI plug doodad thingy (technical term) or through messing around with the graphics card's settings to create a virtual resolution (maybe a technical term?).

Either way, this is also something that is much easier to handle with a really long cable.

Last edited:

Presea

Ascended
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
4k would be interesting due to the network bandwidth that would be required over 1080p. Probably want gigabit (wifi or wired) to be safe.

Steamlink is 1080p (unless you mess with it), but is a nice option.

I currently have an ITX form factor PC that is hooked up to my TV for steam, and in theory would stream 1080p-4k from my "future" gaming PC when I get around to it. I don't think the Raspberry Pi does 4k as well. I could try it out in 4k from my desktop over wireless AC (~900 mbps) and get back to you.

Doesn't need to be hugely expensive as your PC is doing all the rendering work, the CPU / GPU just needs to process the stream. A good budget i5-12400 + a 3050 or something is more than enough.
It's overkill if all it's doing is streaming steam, but it would get you the best results.

Nvidia Shield is probably the best, most economical solution (assuming you have an nvidia gpu).

Last edited:
Top Bottom