• Site Update Notice - See Details Here: https://thewaterheater.net/forum/threads/3596/

The Super Mario Bros. Movie Teaser Trailer

Here is the link for the above autoembedded media.

From Nintendo and Illumination comes a new animated film based on the world of Super Mario Bros.

Directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic (collaborators on Teen Titans Go!, Teen Titans Go! To the Movies) from a screenplay by Matthew Fogel (The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Minions: The Rise of Gru), the film stars Chris Pratt as Mario, Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach, Charlie Day as Luigi, Jack Black as Bowser, Keegan-Michael Key as Toad, Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong, Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong, Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek and Sebastian Maniscalco as Spike.

The film is produced by Illumination founder and CEO Chris Meledandri and by Shigeru Miyamoto for Nintendo. The film will be co-financed by Universal Pictures and Nintendo and released worldwide by Universal Pictures.

Ya know, I had kinda forgotten this was a thing until seeing things about it recently. Having watched the trailer, I like just about everything...except Chris Pratt. In addition to the voice just not fitting, Charles Martinet is IN the credits, so...maybe it's just because he's better in game Mario's short lines of dialogue vs plot-driving movie Mario? It just kinda takes me out of it. Still, I've got the embers of curiosity lit for the thing.

This looks pretty interesting...not that the bar was set particularly high in the first place.

This doesn't appeal to me at all. If other people can enjoy it that's fine but it just made me cringe.

I mean you can already see that the target audience is kids, pulling them into the Nintendo microcosmos, and not nerds in their 30s. Which is fine. Except that Chris Pratt really really REALLY has no business being there. Not on account of me not liking him, but because he isn't that talented of a voice actor and his voice really doesn't fit.

I mean you can already see that the target audience is kids, pulling them into the Nintendo microcosmos, and not nerds in their 30s. Which is fine.

This is it mostly, it feels like every mainstream animated movie from the last few years which have absolutely not held any interest for me. It feels more like Wreck it Ralph than Mario which is ironic I guess.

Not that I would have held out much hope for a Mario movie really. Even when Nintendo tried to put more plot and voice acting in Sunshine I hated those cutscenes, they make my skin crawl.

And in regards to the original movie, firstly I am blinded by nostalgia but also that movie is so diabolically bad and stupid that I can't help but have some place for it in my heart.

Anyway, it's probably not going to be a bad film it just isn't for me.

Yeah, I don’t think I’m the target audience for this.

It doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would. But just not really for me.

I'm considering taking my son to see it, as he is obsessed with all things Mario.

Personally, I suspect I'll still prefer the 1993 movie.

They had one job.

Give him an Italian accent.

They failed.

Honestly, I'm pretty glad they didn't try and use the "It'sa me, Mario!", hammed-up accent for substantive dialogue. That would have been very tedious, very quickly.

I hate to admit it, but I actually liked Bob Hoskins' performance as Mario in the 1993 movie, despite the fact that he and John Leguizamo were drunk for the most of it. That actually made it more entertaining. I'm NOT digging Chris Pratt as Mario, though. He just doesn't fit. Jack Black as Bowser, though? Yeah, I can see that. I see this being as decent as the Sonic movie was. It certainly couldn't be worse than the 1993 Super Mario movie.

Jack Black's voice is too high pitched to be Bowser in my opinion, it's causing some cognitive dissonance.

Eh I feel like Jack Black as Bowser will be the same as Jim Carrey as Robotnik.

A saving grace in the film.

Eh I feel like Jack Black as Bowser will be the same as Jim Carrey as Robotnik.

A saving grace in the film.
Yes on JB being a saving grace, no on everything else.

Mainly because I hate Jim Carrey's style of comedy and, at least from the first Sonic film as I didn't care enough to see the second, his Robotnik was basically just the usual Jim Carrey comedy character.

What about the trailer for the 1993 live action Mario Bros. movie?

Here is the link for the above autoembedded media.

This movie was an absolute masterpiece...maybe. Got to re-watch it in a group chat not too long ago, and...I'm not saying it aged WELL, but I'm not also not saying it aged poorly either. Honestly I think they should have at least gone Bob Hoskins-style about it.

Whilst not ironically dicking around on Mario Kart today, my brother made a valid point: totally forgetting about the rest of the movie beyond the trailer, the REAL kicker is gonna be how Donkey Kong sounds, considering he's never had ANY voice.

Flippy is absolutely right though: this was never made for us cane-shakin' older folks. That glaring truth aside, some voices feel like they fit, and others feel like the first rendering of live-action Sonic.

Yeah, DK has been in the back of my mind ever since I saw the trailer, and I was about to write something but didn't. Seth Rogen will either be full hit or full miss there. I believe he can pull it off, but it can turn extremely awful very quickly.

Jack Black's voice is too high pitched to be Bowser in my opinion, it's causing some cognitive dissonance.

Yeah, I've been torn about Bowser's voice. JB's performance is good, no doubt, but... it still feels slightly off. Not off enough to make me say it doesn't fit, but enough to make it feel not quite right.

One of the advantages of growing up with 16-bit Nintendo is that none of the characters had voices to attach to. :grin:

You people think that DK has never been voiced? Sounds like too many banana slammers has affected your memory.

I like to think that I do remember how awful that 3D animated show was but every time I see it again the reality dawns upon me again and ye god, no one can truly comprehend how awful that show is and still remain sane.

I liked what I saw in that trailer, Bowser's voice was more than acceptable, cute characters like the penguin king with a deep voice gets me everytime, also on the fence about Chris Pratt but I won't dish out final judgement until I heard more than 2 lines.

You people think that DK has never been voiced? Sounds like too many banana slammers has affected your memory.

I know he has, I'm just curious about Seth Rogen's interpretation is all

I liked what I saw in that trailer, Bowser's voice was more than acceptable, cute characters like the penguin king with a deep voice gets me everytime, also on the fence about Chris Pratt but I won't dish out final judgement until I heard more than 2 lines.

Honestly, after having a way-too-deep conversation about this before noon with the girlfriend, she got curious enough to watch the trailer, and - upon second review and despite the fact that Mario has like 3 seconds of actual dialogue - it *kind of* sounds like Pratt might be trying for the aforementioned Bob Hoskins-style. Still a shit-waffle of a person though.

Also, I coulda swore the penguin was Khary Payton, but looking at the list on the trailer, it might be Keegan Michael-Key.

ALSO also: I'm gonna go ahead and say that those DK resources are vague and yes, I probably repressed these for my own safety.

I know he has, I'm just curious about Seth Rogen's interpretation is all

I just wanted to make a reference to the abomination that was the 3D animated show to be honest.

And say banana slammers because it's so stupid a phrase.

This movie was an absolute masterpiece...maybe. Got to re-watch it in a group chat not too long ago, and...I'm not saying it aged WELL, but I'm not also not saying it aged poorly either. Honestly I think they should have at least gone Bob Hoskins-style about it.

Whilst not ironically dicking around on Mario Kart today, my brother made a valid point: totally forgetting about the rest of the movie beyond the trailer, the REAL kicker is gonna be how Donkey Kong sounds, considering he's never had ANY voice.

Flippy is absolutely right though: this was never made for us cane-shakin' older folks. That glaring truth aside, some voices feel like they fit, and others feel like the first rendering of live-action Sonic.
I need to rewatch it myself. It's not the most amazing thing out there, but it's definitely a cult classic worth seeing. It does some things very well. If you removed "mario bros" out of it and improved the writing you would actually have something.

Last edited:
If you removed "mario bros" out of it and improved the writing you would actually have something.

I have the same feelings about Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. The biggest problem that movie faced (from what I remember of it) is that it was titled "Final Fantasy" so people came to expect something that was - by and large - not delivered.

Back
Top Bottom