• Posting this again since Readout asked about it today - the Train Graveyard is hidden for everyone, including admin, to clean up the front page of this forum. If you want access to see old threads you can be added.

The Dragon Prince

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
After how season 3 ended (3 years ago), I am looking forward to seeing what happens in season 4.

PixelOrange

God Emperor
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
If you get the board game, you'll see my name in the credits :smile:

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
A question about the show, how aimed towards kids is it? Because I couldn't enjoy Avatar as it is clearly still aimed at teenagers.

PixelOrange

God Emperor
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
A question about the show, how aimed towards kids is it? Because I couldn't enjoy Avatar as it is clearly still aimed at teenagers.
How far did you get into Avatar? It starts that way but it gets better. The first season is very much teen aimed but they press into much deeper issues in seasons 2 and 3.

I got like... 2 episodes into Dragon Prince? I had a super hard time with the fact that season 1 was turbo low budget and to work around that constraint any non-action scenes were very low FPS. Action scenes they bumped up the FPS to whatever the animation standard is and it's smooth but god. It's very jarring. I'm told subsequent seasons don't suffer from this but I don't know how I get through season 1.

PixelOrange

God Emperor
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Flippy liked my comment which reminded me it existed.

Some key pros of Avatar:

* One of the very best endings to a show I've ever seen. Like, how perfect is that fight? How amazing is the choice he makes? The battle of wills after the physical battle. All of it.

* The Tales of Ba Sing Se.

* Giant Turtle Bros. Not much screen time but they're pretty cool.

* Toph metal bending is some dope shit. Toph in general

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I also forgot about it, I probably got like, 6-10 episodes in?

It's fine if it just doesn't appeal to me.

Piestein

Credible sources say people absolutely love me
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I absolutely loved the series. I did accept the cost of having to watch a kid-friendly show and some of that goes away, but a lot of that never goes away. Teens is kind, I think this is watchable by any kid that is above 4 years old roughly (though they shouldn't ever watch anything I guess at 4).

That being said, the series is absolutely superb. not just the ending - everything, frankly. I just loved it, (almost) start to finish.

Flippy

Weird Forum Thing
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Huh, I forgot to actually send the post I had prepared, but this is what I had written:

I'd say the target audience for Dragon Prince is similar to Avatar. Like Pix said, yeah originally aimed at teens (and still suitable for younger kids), but picking up deeper issues along the way. On the one hand there's silly fun and coming of age stuff, on the other there's blood magic, corruption and intrigue, lots of death and complex morals.

As an addition to Pix's new post, Avatar is certainly among the series with the best character development, and it's one of the things I like best about it. Considering it's just 3 seasons it makes this even more of a feat.
It's not just back to status quo or "suddenly emotionally grown up", they actually grow and learn from their experiences and traumas too, and you can actually see how this influences their characters, their relationships and their decisions in meaningful and realistic ways (as in, the characters change but still stay true to themselves).

Top Bottom