• Site Update Notice - See Details Here: https://thewaterheater.net/forum/threads/3596/

LotR: The Rings of Power

Jeeze imagine having to try and live up to Howard Shore's legacy. LotR is some of the most iconic film music out there.

Bear McCreary is an absolutely fantastic composer who has done some absolutely fantastic bits of music.

Jeeze imagine having to try and live up to Howard Shore's legacy. LotR is some of the most iconic film music out there.

But also absolutely this.

Or, I suppose, as Pixel would apparently say,

DELTA DELTA DELTA DELTA DELTA DELTA

Oh, for sure. I post this mostly because I think Bear is one of very few composers I actually think has a reasonable chance of rising to the challenge.

This conversation has reminded me that I'm going to see an orchestra play fantasy music in September but obviously the big draw is LotR. For some reason they've added Avatar (James Cameron) to the list which is nice as it allows everyone some time to go to the bar/toilet.

Truly a modern classic. (@ Krafty)

Last edited:

I could be wrong, but I think we may have had a glimpse at Sauron in this trailer.

Curious to see what they'll do with Galadriel, I've not read much of the History of Middle Earth books but between crossing in to Beleriand and then setting up domain in Lothlorien (which is way in to the 3rd age) she isn't actually mentioned a lot. Typically when elves are involved in the 2nd age we're talking about Celebrimbor or Gil-Galad and-

God I'm such a fucking nerd.

I'm more curious about Sauron, because there's a certain character in the trailer that could be him, and that would give us a much better indication of when this show takes place. Edit: And yes, Kris. You are a fucking nerd. NERD!!! :rasp:

It's before he lost his fair form so expect people to be thirsty over Sauron.

I'm the only one that squeed a little bit over the Balrog? Just me? Okay then.

Seriously, I've always wanted to know more about how the Balrogs came to exist. Maybe that gets answered.

The whole thing looks pretty good though. I know our lad will be coming to visit each week so we can watch it with him (and ancillary to that, make sure he has at least one decent meal that week).

The Balrogs were created in ancient times and awoken by Morgoth in the Years of the Trees. Though AFAIK, there wasn’t really any mention in Tolkien’s telling of the Second Age, so maybe the show is going to take some adaptive liberties there?

Balrogs were a type of maiar who were recruited and corrupted by Morgoth, I don't think there was ever anything more to them.

Let's not forget that the big baddie balrog was called Gothmog so if it isn't a Final Fantasy Mog dressed as a goth I would be upset.

Back
Top Bottom