• Site Update Notice - See Details Here: https://thewaterheater.net/forum/threads/3596/

Rick and Morty, Solar Opposites, and other stuff by Justin Roiland

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points

Here is the link for the above autoembedded media.

From creator Justin Roiland, “The Paloni Show! Halloween Special!” introduces Leroy, Reggie, and Cheruce Paloni, who have been given the opportunity of a lifetime to be the hosts of an unforgettable Halloween Special full of “spooky” shorts from a group of up-and-coming animators.

The series stars Justin Roiland as “Leroy,” Zach Hadel as “Reggie,” Pamela Adlon as “Cheruce,” Vatche Panos as “Little Long Legs,” and Kari Wahlgren as “Aunt Stephanie.”

“The Paloni Show! Halloween Special!” premieres on Hulu on Monday, October 17.

Justin Roiland, the star and co-creator of the animated comedy series “Rick and Morty,” has been charged with felony domestic violence in Orange County, California, in connection with a 2020 incident, according to a criminal complaint filed in May 2020 by the Orange County District Attorney. He appeared in court Thursday for a pre-trial hearing.

Roiland pleaded not guilty in 2020. In a statement, one of Roiland's attorneys wrote that his client is innocent and he expects the case will be dismissed.

"We look forward to clearing Justin's name and helping him move forward as swiftly as possible," attorney T. Edward Welbourn wrote.

NBC News obtained the criminal complaint in the case, which charges Roiland, 42, with one felony count of domestic battery with corporal injury and one felony count of false imprisonment by menace, violence, fraud and/or deceit. NBC News is the first to report publicly on the case.

The complaint states the incident occurred on or about Jan. 19, 2020, against an anonymous Jane Doe who was dating Roiland at the time.

According to Orange County Superior Court records, Roiland pleaded not guilty to both charges in October 2020. Since then, the case has been the subject of more than a dozen court hearings, including pre-trial hearings. A trial date is not currently set.

Many court records remained sealed but the available public documents seen by NBC News say Roiland was charged in May 2020. Roiland was arrested and released on a $50,000 bond in August 2020 and arraigned in October 2020.

A protective order filed in October 2020 and documented in the court minutes said Roiland is not to harass, threaten or surveil the person named in the protective order, who is not known to NBC News. Roiland cannot go within 100 feet of the person, according to the order, which also ordered Roiland to turn in any firearms he owned or possessed. The order lasts until October 2023, and it’s not known who submitted the request for the order.

Details of the case, including police body camera footage, police reports, abuse investigation reports, medical reports and recordings of interviews are currently being withheld from the public under a protective order. The affidavit in support of Roiland’s arrest is also sealed.

During Thursday’s hearing, Roiland’s attorney confirmed there is a plea offer available to Roiland, but did not discuss details. The brief hearing concluded a moment later with an agreement to convene again on April 27. Roiland was ordered to attend the hearing.

Roiland is best known for Adult Swim’s “Rick and Morty,” which has spawned a billion-dollar media and merchandising franchise and is one of the most popular adult television comedies. The show’s sixth season aired in September 2022, and a seventh season was ordered by Cartoon Network as part of a long-term deal for 70 new episodes. Roiland, in addition to co-creating the series with Dan Harmon, voices the two titular characters.

Adult Swim, whose parent company Warner Bros. Discovery also owns Cartoon Network, declined to comment.

Over the past three years, as the domestic violence case has inched along, Roiland’s career has progressed. He released an NFT art collection with over a dozen works in 2021, which sold for over $1.65 million. He released another NFT project in 2022. Roiland also sold his first painting via Sotheby’s auction in 2021.

Roiland also co-created and voiced the main character in Hulu’s “Solar Opposites,” which debuted in 2020 and was renewed for a fifth season in October 2022. Most recently, he was behind Hulu’s “Koala Man” series, the first episode of which was released this month.

Roiland also released the video game “High on Life” in 2022, which he developed through his studio Squanch Games. It became the top-selling game on Steam and the fourth most-played Xbox game the week of its release. Roiland won an Emmy for “Rick and Morty” in 2020 and a Hollywood Critics Choice Association TV award for the show in 2022.

Well, Adult Swim just posted this update on their official Instagram page for Rick and Morty.

Update: here is some more info I found on what is going on.

Adult Swim says it’s ending its working relationship with Rick and Morty co-creator — and voice of both title characters — Justin Roiland, who is currently facing felony domestic violence charges. “Adult Swim has ended its association with Justin Roiland,” the company said in a statement from Marie Moore, senior vice president of communications.

Development on Rick and Morty will continue without Roiland’s involvement. The Hollywood Reporter says that Roiland’s roles will be recast and that co-creator Dan Harmon will serve as the series’ sole creator moving forward.

Roiland faces felony domestic violence charges related to an incident in January 2020. NBC News reported on the arrest and charges earlier this month, citing a criminal complaint filed in May 2020 in Orange County, California, by the county’s district attorney. Roiland is charged with two felonies: one count of “domestic battery with corporal injury” and one count of “false imprisonment by menace, violence, fraud, and/or deceit.” If convicted, Roiland could face years in prison. The Rick and Morty co-creator was arrested in August 2020 and released on a $50,000 bond. Roiland pleaded not guilty to both charges at his Oct. 14, 2020, arraignment.

Last edited:
Weird how it took so long but not long enough for facts of the case to come out in court.

Regardless, I'm sure the neckbeards who think Rick & Morty requires a high IQ will be totally cool and not complain about cancel culture, women ruining things, and/or anything like that. I expect a perfectly reasonable online discussion. In unrelated news about my judgement, I started playing hockey again and have taken many, many blows to the head.

Did Roiland own the rights to the cartoon and thus get a big payout for this, or was it not his and he's just been fired for breach of contract or similar?

O.K., so the people at Squanch Games have made a post saying that Justin Roiland just turned in his resignation from the company, so that should tell you how the court case is going for him. :-(

Update: Looks like even Hulu has cut ties with Justin Roiland as well.

Hulu is cutting ties with "Rick and Morty" co-creator and co-star Justin Roiland, the company said in a statement.

Roiland co-created Hulu's animated series “Solar Opposites” with Mike McMahan and he previously voiced the character Korvo. He was also the executive producer of “Koala Man," another Hulu production.

Both shows will continue without Roiland’s involvement, the company said.

Last edited:
Gotta say, with all the talk about "How is Rick & Morty even going to work without Roiland?", I am honestly thrilled about the studio's decision to not just can the whole thing, and let the crew keep their jobs.

Yesterday, the news dropped that Rick and Morty co-creator Justin Roiland had not only been dropped from the hit TV show by Adult Swim, but also that he was resigning from High on Life studio Squanch Games, which he co-founded. This all comes as Roiland faces two felony domestic abuse charges from 2020. Instead of leaving Adult Swim high and dry as it faces the challenge of carrying on Rick and Morty without the man who voiced a great many of its characters, a sizeable chunk of fans took it upon themselves to submit mock audition tapes for the now-vacant roles of Rick Sanchez and Morty Smith.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, an anonymous insider claimed that Roiland wanted to use virtual reality to avoid other writers. "It was like a visual representation of the problem forming," the source said. "He also loved VR, and he kept being like, 'Wouldn't it be amazing if we could do this show in VR and never have to be near each other?' And that was the thing: This is a guy who likes being home with his dogs, not in a room with writers, and he wasn't afraid to say that."

I feel like the headline there is literally the least useful thing they could have drawn out of the Hollywood Reporter piece they're citing. It covers a) a bunch of creepy and misogynistic behaviour, and b) having pretty much entirely withdrawn from any creative contributions to "his" shows. The VR thing is mentioned offhand in the context of the latter as something he'd said before he stopped turning up entirely, but it's such a weird thing to run with as the headline.

I feel like the headline there is literally the least useful thing they could have drawn out of the Hollywood Reporter piece they're citing. It covers a) a bunch of creepy and misogynistic behaviour, and b) having pretty much entirely withdrawn from any creative contributions to "his" shows. The VR thing is mentioned offhand in the context of the latter as something he'd said before he stopped turning up entirely, but it's such a weird thing to run with as the headline.

I think it's a completely deliberate attempt to paint him as an introverted weirdo, so that they can reassure everyone else that their misogynistic behaviour is normal.

Justin Roiland has been cleared of domestic battery and false imprisonment charges that had been levied against him relating to an alleged incident back in January 2020, as announced by Roiland himself and confirmed by Variety. In a statement, Orange County District Attorney’s office spokesperson Kimberly Edds said: “We dismissed the charges today as a result of having insufficient evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Insufficient evidence is a common reason not to proceed forward with a trial, but Justin Roiland is taking this news as if it’s the ultimate vindication that he has never done anything wrong in his entire life. On Twitter, his statement began, “I have always known that these claims were false — and I never had any doubt that this day would come. I’m thankful that this case has been dismissed but, at the same time, I’m still deeply shaken by the horrible lies that were reported about me during this process.”

Back
Top Bottom