• Posting this again since Readout asked about it today - the Train Graveyard is hidden for everyone, including admin, to clean up the front page of this forum. If you want access to see old threads you can be added.

meezookeewee

The Troll under your bridge.
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Honestly, I'm far more interested in what DC's bringing to the table than what the MCU's cooking up.

witsd

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Honestly, I'm far more interested in what DC's bringing to the table than what the MCU's cooking up.

The above trailer is interesting, granted - I hadn't realised that the Sandman was DC.

Otherwise... Black Adam is the Rock being the Rock, so that should be okay for munching popcorn, but everything I saw in the trailer was utterly formulaic.

What else is there from DC that's at all interesting?

Last edited:

Flippy

Weird Forum Thing
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I thought the Birds of Prey movie was fun, and I'm actually interested to see how the Batgirl movie turns out

But yeah, that's it actually, at least for me

(DCEU only though, I also find RobPat's Batman was great for example, and I want to take a look at the Harley Quinn animated series at some point)

Readout

Leader of the Resistance in Government
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
The above trailer is interesting, granted - I hadn't realised that the Sandman was DC.

This is also why Lucifer is part of the DC TV universe.

meezookeewee

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Sinking millions of dollars into a movie that's almost finished and then deciding to scrap it is an EXCELLENT business model!
I can probably tell you why they did it, despite what they told the trades: Ezra Miller. Honestly, that's what most people are going to assume anyway. Miller's bullshit has tainted the entire DCEU. After this, I wouldn't put it past Warner Bros. to cancel The Flash outright, despite it being completely finished, effects and all. The Flash was made for 200 million, but seriously doubt that they're going to release it at this point. How can you when your lead star is a fucking criminal? They said they were committed to releasing the movie into theaters, but I have my doubts.

witsd

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I'm going to be wearing my sceptical hat for a few months on this one. If we hear nothing else about it and it fades into obscurity, then okay, weird. If this stirs speculation into a frenzy and is eventually released due to 'fan demand' then I'm calling bullshit marketing ploy.

Flippy

Weird Forum Thing
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I'm going to be wearing my sceptical hat for a few months on this one. If we hear nothing else about it and it fades into obscurity, then okay, weird. If this stirs speculation into a frenzy and is eventually released due to 'fan demand' then I'm calling bullshit marketing ploy.

I don't want to always be this cynical about everything but this shit just keeps happening

Last edited:

meezookeewee

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I'm getting that vibe, too. If that's the case, it's NOT a good look for Warner Bros. Even if the movie itself is bad, the people that put their hard work into it deserve to have their movie seen at the very least. But I still think that this situation with Ezra Miller and The Flash had something to do with it. More than they're willing to say publicly.

witsd

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Ultimately though: lol at DC.

Silly bastards.

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points

Warner Bros. has issued an official statement on the cancelation of Batgirl, which has been scrapped despite having already completed filming. The DCEU movie was set to star In the Heights actor Leslie Grace as the titular hero, with Michael Keaton reprising his Batman role. Batgirl wasn't the only film on the chopping block, either, with Scoob! Holiday Haunt also canceled entirely.

"The decision to not release Batgirl reflects our leadership's strategic shift as it relates to the DC universe and HBO Max," reads the statement, per Deadline (opens in new tab). "Leslie Grace is an incredibly talented actor and this decision is not a reflection of her performance. We are incredibly grateful to the filmmakers of Batgirl and Scoob! Holiday Haunt and their respective casts and we hope to collaborate with everyone again in the near future."

According to Deadline's report, the cancelation comes down to a rejection of former WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar's strategy, which prioritized streaming and HBO Max. The publication notes that other movies aren't expected to be scrapped, because Batgirl and Scoob! are said to have been canceled partly due to a "purchase accounting" opportunity that expires this month.

Deadline adds that Batgirl was set to introduce characters that Warner Bros. wanted to keep for DC's theatrical releases The Flash and Aquaman 2, and the film wasn't conceived as competitive big-screen blockbuster, having been commissioned for HBO Max. Instead of spending more for a theatrical release, Warner Bros. felt it made more sense to pull the plug.

Another trade website, Variety (opens in new tab), adds that the cancelations of Batgirl and Scoob were both partly down to a tax write-down. "Several sources say it will almost certainly take a tax write-down on both films, seen internally as the most financially sound way to recoup the costs," the publication states.

Essentially, because both movies were commissioned before Warner Bros. merged with Discovery, the newly formed company Warner Bros. Discovery can receive tax benefits if it doesn't use materials from pre-merger for profit. The company had until mid-August to make a decision on the write-downs, hence why the decision was made briskly. In other words, a lot of this came down to money rather than talent, as Warner is reportedly looking to work with the directors and leading actors again.

Brendan Fraser was set to appear in Batgirl as the villain Firefly, while J.K. Simmons was also back as Jim Gordon.

The next DC project to hit the big screen is Black Adam, which arrives this October 21. In the meantime, check out our guide to all the upcoming superhero movies flying your way through 2022 and beyond.

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points

Despite the recent revelation that Warner Bros.' Batgirl will no longer be released, the studio's upcoming DC Extended Universe film The Flash, starring Ezra Miller, is still on track to hit theaters in 2023.

According to a tweet from the account @FlashFilmNews, "The Scarlet Speedster is still expected to hit theaters worldwide on June 23, 2023." The post includes a screenshotted message from one of the film's producers, Barbara Muschietti, who wrote, "All is good in Flash land."

Seige

One of those days Champion 07/10/2016
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Watched The Suicide Squad last night, not as good as the Suicide Squad personally. Rat Catcher 2 was good and King Shark was arguably the best character in there.

Amarus

Profesionql kyebord typsit;
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Given all the attention and media presence the Batgirl film is getting, I'm actually starting to think it's all marketing and it is still getting released. My thought process might have gotten influenced by witsd.

Last edited:

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Given all the attention and media presence the Batgirl film is getting, I'm actually starting to think it's all marketing and it is still getting released. My thought process might have gotten influenced by witsd.
If you ask me, this is all going to end up like the "Snyder Cut" version of the Justice League movie. Their is going to be a giant fan outcry for the Batgirl movie online, and it will finally come out years later, but it's just going to end up as an O.K. movie.

Last edited:

Tarnagh

Eldest
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
If you ask me, this is all going to end up like the "Snyder Cut" version of the Justice League movie. Their is going to be a giant fan outcry for the Batgirl online, and it will finally come out years later, bu it's just going to end up as an O.K. movie.
Will we ever see the "Butthole" version, though?

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
This just about sums up what WB is doing right now.

Here is the link for the above autoembedded media.

Here is a list of all of the upcoming DC Movie and TV series that might now get canceled. :-(

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points

Batgirl will likely not see the light of day despite having mostly completed filming. While the movie will forever be known as a victim of the Warner Bros. Discovery merger, reports say Batgirl will be shown on the WB lot for cast and crew as a "funeral screening."

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the "funeral screenings" will be held in secret for people who have worked on the movie, cast, crew, and executives as a way to send off the movie before it likely gets locked away in a vault.

it's nice to know that someone will get to see the Batgirl movie. But if the movie is done enough to have a showing for the people to worked on it for the last few years, then WB-D should let everyone see it.

Seige

One of those days Champion 07/10/2016
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Seige Jnr and I went and watched Black Adam last night and I honestly thought it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, sure it was cliche'd in spots but honestly what movies nowadays aren't loaded with cliche's.

PixelOrange

God Emperor
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Why the shit can DC not make a solid superhero movie to save their lives? It's not even the CGI or acting. It's the plots, dialogue, pacing, all things that they can apparently do just perfect in cartoon form but not in live-action? I just don't get it. Those are the things that should translate fine between mediums.

Anyway, just saw Black Adam and I was so disappointed. I had high hopes for the movie. The cast had 4 or 5 known actors all of whom are perfectly capable. So what the fuck. Also, why do they insist on introducing so many heroes at once? We have seen that doesn't work. Quit it.

Fucking DC.

meezookeewee

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
We have seen that doesn't work
It DOES work when its written well. James Gunn's Suicide Squad movie, for example. But the MCU has a better track record of that. Warner Bros. bungled the DCEU from day 1. I love Man of Steel. I liked Aquaman and the first Wonder Woman movie. Hell, I even enjoyed Justice League, BOTH versions. But the problem has always been the tone. The Snyder-verse was mostly downbeat and off-putting for the average movie-goer. Batman V. Superman ended with the death of Superman for crying out loud. Black Adam's problems were a result of Dwayne Johnson having too much say in the project and a lousy script. The project was in development for 15 fucking years, and THIS was what we got? Honestly, a hard reboot of the DCEU is needed, and that's the direction that Gunn and Safran are headed in. We've got four more movies in the Snyder-verse: Aquaman 2, Blue Beetle, The Flash, and Shazam! Fury of the Gods. Outside of the regular DC universe, we've got the follow-up to The Joker and a sequel to The Batman. I'm interested in what Gunn and Safran have in mind.

Top Bottom