• Posting this again since Readout asked about it today - the Train Graveyard is hidden for everyone, including admin, to clean up the front page of this forum. If you want access to see old threads you can be added.

George R.R. Martin's GoT Book series will have a different Ending from the TV show

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
George R.R. Martin has offered his latest update on the next entry in his A Song of Ice and Fire series, The Winds of Winter. The latest news comes from Martin’s Not A Blog website, where he said on Friday that the ending he sees for his books has shifted far away from the ending of HBO’s Game of Thrones series.

To me, this is allot like what happens to many Anime series that are based on ongoing Manga. Like how an Anime series based on an ongoing Manga series will only last for about 13 upto 24 episodes or more (most of them filler episodes), and will have a very different ending then what the Manga will have.

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Does it really matter if the books are never published?
Not really, I just wanted to point out that this type of thing happens all the time with Anime/Manga series, so I was not that shocked by this news that when the last GoT Book comes out, the series will have a very different ending then what the TV series had. And since allot of GoT fans hated the TV show's ending, that might be a very good thing.

Tarnagh

Eldest
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
At this point, who cares? The time to have done this was during the show's run, and he's missed that chance by several years.

witsd

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Of course the books will end differently. They'll need graphic descriptions of multiple child rapes.

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
At this point, who cares? The time to have done this was during the show's run, and he's missed that chance by several years.
That's how I see it. The one good thing that the TV series had going for it was that if fans wanted to know what happened next after the end of the last season and could not wait for the next season, they would go and buy the books. But now that the TV series is over, no one wants to buy the books anymore. Now I am sure that their are some hard core fans of the GoT Books series that are looking forward to the "Real Ending" of the series, but at this point, their wont be as many as their was before when the TV series was still on the air.

meezookeewee

The Troll under your bridge.
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
That last season of Game of Thrones was a fucking disaster. I know there are people that liked it, and that's fine, but it was rushed, poorly written, and incredibly unsatisfying the way some of those story-lines were wrapped up. I honestly can't go back and watch any of the previous seasons again. That's how badly the final season burned me. And considering that Martin's taking his sweet-ass time finishing the books, he's going to be dead before the story's over.

Krafty

Actually never smiling
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Sorry @Player #7 but I'm convinced the ending we got was more or less what GRR Martin envisioned and shared with the showrunners.

After the massive backlash the show got for poor execution he basically has to rewrite a lot of stuff.

Readout

Leader of the Resistance in Government
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I'm convinced that was The Ending and now GRRM is now desperately (albeit slowly) rewriting everything.

Which is a perfectly fine thing to do, except for the whole "kind of throwing the show writers under the bus" thing.

Sentynel

Ascended
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I think it's conceivable that the same ending in terms of the major plot points could have been delivered better as originally conceived, though the books had definitely been going downhill and I lost interest some time ago, so maybe not. Everyone having been exposed to it via the show means they definitely won't accept the same ending in a book at this point. Anyway, I'm sure Sanderson will do a perfectly adequate job finishing the series off.

Flippy

Weird Forum Thing
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I for one have only read the books, not watched the tv series, but I have absolutely just lost interest over the years, and over all the GoT hype.

Tarnagh

Eldest
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I for one have only read the books, not watched the tv series, but I have absolutely just lost interest over the years, and over all the GoT hype.
This, mostly. I saw clips of the show during the time it was being aired. The "purple wedding," a few others - including the ending scenes of the final episode. I figured fuck it, we're never getting the last books, may as well see this hot mess of an ending.

Like @Readout said, I think GRRM is trying to redo the ending because everyone hated it. But like @Flippy said, I couldn't possibly care less any more.

Silencer

Ascended
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I remember being in a bookshop a decade or more ago and having a conversation with a friend that ran in the vein of “I’m not going to buy that box set because it’s not finished yet” in regards to ASOIAF.

I’m sticking with that plan for now. I‘ve only ever seen clips from the series and never started the books so if it ever gets finished I might give it a look.

Tarnagh

Eldest
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I’m sticking with that plan for now. I‘ve only ever seen clips from the series and never started the books so if it ever gets finished I might give it a look.
We have all the books that got released. I admit that it's been so long since I read them that I can't recall much detail any more.

What I remember most is getting so angry at Sansa's stupidity in the first book that I shouted at her in real life and threw the book across the room. Gawd that bitch was dumb. Yeah she got better but damn.

It was a year before I could pick it up and read it again. That's the first time a character has made me so unreasonably furious that I didn't want to keep reading.

Top Bottom