• Site Update Notice - See Details Here: https://thewaterheater.net/forum/threads/3596/

Crypto/NFTs Are Bad Megathread

Just thought I would make a new Megathread where people can post news about just how bad Crypto and NFTs are.

NFT Pokémon clone Axie Infinity went from being famous for players profiting off its “play-to-earn” gaming scam to infamous for getting hacked out of $540 million in cryptocurrency. Now according to a new report by The Block we know what made the security breach possible: a sophisticated phishing attempt socially engineered on LinkedIn that sounds like a deleted episode of Mr. Robot.

I have no objection to this. If artwork is for sale, then it's already out of the hands of the public and the private owner might as well be shoving it up their arse.

Well it's certainly horror on a different level.

Some of the people I follow on twitter compare this to Enron.

I see that the BBC article misrepresented what happened.

FTX was found to be insolvent. They have an 8 billion hole in their balance sheet. It's not a liquidity crunch - a liquidity crunch is where you have 8 billion in illiquid assets and you owe 8 billion immediately.
They did not have the money at all.

FTX had lent client money to its trading subsidiary.
Its trading subsidiary lost the money.
People got a whiff and tried to withdraw their "deposits".
They could not.

The founder himself admitted in a twitter thread that this is all his mistake and that he should have done better, so I think that he's going to be sued as well. Read somewhere that the former billionaire is also filing for a personal bankruptcy.

The CEO has been replaced by another person due to the bankruptcy proceedings. There are proceedings both in the USA and in the Bahamas. The Bahamas authorities decided this has gone too far.

Oh, and there have been print screens from a discussion with Sequoia investors, which are just bonkers. Apparently the founder was playing League of Legends while he was talking with Sequoia about a potential investment. And the Sequoia guys loved it ??? I mean, if somebody plays LEAGUE OF LEGENDS while I talk with them about investing 500 million dollars, I would just not invest. Also, the founder apparently said that he wanted a single solution for both payment, banking, investment across the globe - and again - Sequoia loved this, even though it is OBVIOUSLY REGULATORY HELL. I mean.... Facebook tried to do it with Libra, it being noted that Libra aimed to be a stable coin, not an investment - this required having MANY lawyers - and it still didn't happen.

To sum it up in one word: Idiots.

Alternate link:

Gist is:
A ridiculous amount of fake money has been stolen from FTX by hackers (or maybe "hackers").

FTX also told people that people in the Bahamas can withdraw their money as per regulator request. Regulators said they didn’t say that at all….
So leaning on « hackers » more than anything.

Double boo. One for patenting software BS and one for the fact that it's blockchain/NFT BS.

Double boo. One for patenting software BS and one for the fact that it's blockchain/NFT BS.
There is some good in this: patent will make it harder for others to implement the same bullshit because they will have to go around the patented method.

Can you un-legalese this?

I will need some time, but this is just beyond words. This is a statement of the guy put to replace SBF during Chapter 11. He did Enron’s proceedings.

He says in thsi document (not a court judgment, only his opinion, but still):
1. No corporate governance at all - no board meetings.
2. No cash management - they don’t have a system saying where the companies have accounts and who has access to these accounts
3. No audited financials - the books aren’t reviewed by an audit firm and cannot be relied upon. The books that have been reviewed are still unreliable.
4. No HR clear lines - they don’t even have a full list of employees.

This is before even going into the fact that there is a several-billion dollars sized hole in their balance sheet and they are utterly insolvent.

I mean, there is this paragraph also:
«
The Debtors did not have the type of disbursement controls that I believe are appropriate for a business enterprise. For example, employees of the FTX Group submitted payment requests through an on-line ‘chat’ platform where a disparate group of supervisors approved disbursements by responding with personalized emojis.
63. In the Bahamas, I understand that corporate funds of the FTX Group were used to purchase homes and other personal items for employees and advisors. I understand that there does not appear to be documentation for certain of these transactions as loans, and that certain real estate was recorded in the personal name of these employees and advisors on the records of the Bahamas. »

You… this is just - there is a level of bluntness here that I cannot describe. It’s all like this.

This is the openinh paragraph, ffs:

«
I have over 40 years of legal and restructuring experience. I have been the Chief Restructuring Officer or Chief Executive Officer in several of the largest corporate failures in history. I have supervised situations involving allegations of criminal activity and malfeasance (Enron). I have supervised situations involving novel financial structures (Enron and Residential Capital) and cross-border asset recovery and maximization (Nortel and Overseas Shipholding). Nearly every situation in which I have been involved has been characterized by defects of some sort in internal controls, regulatory compliance, human resources and systems integrity.
5. Never in my career have I seen such a complete failure of corporate controls and such a complete absence of trustworthy financial information as occurred here. From compromised systems integrity and faulty regulatory oversight abroad, to the concentration of control in the hands of a very small group of inexperienced, unsophisticated and potentially compromised individuals, this situation is unprecedented. »

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom