• Site Update Notice - See Details Here: https://thewaterheater.net/forum/threads/3596/

What Are You Reading?

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Because this thread has been mine through several iterations even if it's not particularly active at the moment.

Anyway, I'm still of Lord of the Rings. I know it's been 20 years since I last read it but I also happen to know and understand the legendarium much better now, it's amazing to notice and understand so much more.

Currently reading the Cradle series by Will Wight. It's pretty decent.

I really should post here more; I'm always reading.

Right now I’m reading The Complete Rigger’s Apprentice (Second Edition) by Brion Toss.

It’s a mix of useful and interesting with helpful diagrams for tying various knots and rigs.

Finally finishing the Iron Druid series. Late to that particular party, I know, but we've been putting off new book purchases forever. Just finally said fuck it, let's start filling in the end gaps on all the series' we had still unfinished.

Next one will be the Sandman Slim series, but that's probably going to be a bit longer since income is still a thing until we get DH's unemployment sorted.

We had already filled in the last bit of the Phule's Company series and the House of Night series (don't judge, YA fiction is one of my guilty pleasures, and this is really quite good as far as that genre goes).

Oh it's been so long since I read an Iron Druid book I don't know if I would even be able to pick it up again.

Oh it's been so long since I read an Iron Druid book I don't know if I would even be able to pick it up again.
The story is pretty great, but we never did get the last three books of the series.

We spent a few years in mourning for the loss of our local book store and the guy who ran it. He went out of business several years ago but it took us a long time to just finally admit that if we want books now we're going to have to deal with either big box stores or Amazon - the things that put him out of business in the first place. :frown:

We've just gotten to the point where we're filling in all those old gaps.

I have just read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir and thought both were brilliant.

Read the Night Circus on a train to Durham a couple of years ago, and I absolutely concur.

Why do so many people go gaga over Heathcliff? He's a terrible person.

I know it's been a week since the Iron Druid series was spoken of but I went from that to the new series that Kevin Hearne is writing and I actually think it's a better series.
The Seven Kennings. Only two books in but the third is being released some time this year.

A friend offered me a copy of Paradise Lost so I started that this evening, by which I mean I read the 34 page essay masquerading as an introduction. But it's midnight now so I should probably wait for another day before attempting the actual poem.

But hey, I've read both The Odyssey and The Aeniad so I'm not really expecting to be out of my depth here.

Holy crap I had completely forgotten that Tolkien lets you think that Pippin died at the battle of the Black Gates for multiple chapters. What an absolute psychopath.

As an important side note, one thing the book does which the films (understandably) don't do is that it mostly tells the story from the perspective of the Hobbits which I had also forgotten. The only time it really steps away from this is when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are chasing Merry and Pippin.

Finished the Lord of the Rings audiobook finally after only listening to a little bit at a time before sleeping.

So yeah, turns out that I ugly cry to the book now as well as the film.

I'm 69% of the way through the second Expanse book and really enjoying it. Thoroughly recommended.

Very disappointed that He Who Fights with Monsters is not yet complete. It is pretty good thought.

Started re-reading the Dresden Files. Kinda forgot how much I love Harry.

I've been wanting something to read after Wheel of Time killed my joy in the written world and since I've been watching the Droupout show Um, Actually they keep mentioning Earthsea and I've been meaning to read it forever.

Anyway, the first four books were the cost of one book so why not.

I've been wanting something to read after Wheel of Time killed my joy in the written world and since I've been watching the Droupout show Um, Actually they keep mentioning Earthsea and I've been meaning to read it forever.

Anyway, the first four books were the cost of one book so why not.

Good choice. The first two in particular are just so, so good.

I'm still reading The Expanse series, currently on Book 6 and excited to hit unadapted (and therefore new to me) material with the next one.

I finished the third Earthsea book and then lost the book... I know its in the house somewhere

But yes, they were very good.

I had been distracted since the busyness of the Christmas season and hadn't had much of a chance to read but tonight I decided to put my insomnia to good use and devoured the second Earthsea book, I know they are only short tales but I read the latter half of it in this one sitting.

Where the first book has a certain sense of restraint in its story telling, (basically the opposite of The Kingkiller Chronicles which indulges in itself and forgets the story at large, (don't get me wrong I do like the books and would really like it if Pat Rothfuss actually went back to writing them)), The Tombs of Atuan lets itself rest and breathe life in to characters and the location rather than the chase of the first book.

Yeah, very good.

I'm just (finally) finishing up the 4th.

They've all been a joy to read, and I've enjoyed the different pacings.

I haven't been able to focus on reading for quite a while, which is why I've been "reading" The Colour of Magic for more than a year. Whenever I actually manage to focus long enough to read, I'm definitely enjoying it so it's not the fault of the book.

That said, it looks like borrowing Ayoade On Top from a colleague got me out of that rut. I have about a quarter left and it'll definitely be over before I'm back from vacation.

How you feel about Richard Ayoade's specific type of humour is pretty much how you'd feel about that book. It doesn't take more than one sentence to start reading everything in his voice and cadence.

I tried reading something that spawned from my home country and that's apparently won international fame and awards, but I stopped after reading the first 4 pages. Nostalgia is wayyyyy too annoying for me. dear god, allow yourselves to dream a little, you guys. Not everything needs to be "did you remember when we went to the circus and grandpa used those old-fashioned terms and life was just incredible because I was 4".

Has anyone here read "The Witcher" books?

I went looking for them and discovered that there are a few anthology books of short stories plus the actual novels.

Where do I start and what order should I read them in? I get the feeling that some short stories were published in multiple anthologies, some aren't available in English, and some are out of print.

I thought it was like, five novels. It's apparently more complicated than that.

Halp?

Or, they're fine as long as you know what you're getting in to.

And the answer is to read in publication order, the first two selections of short stories before the plot takes off, but the short stories are relevant.

Deathworlders, by hambone. I stopped around chapter 50, and he's since gotten to like 97 or something. Plus many of those chapters are multi-parts. Each chapter, each part of a chapter, is the work of 1 month of writing. So I haven't read in like 4 years. Currently into chapter 65, and I've definitely missed some good stuff. Glad to be catching up.

If you're into sci-fi stuff, then definitely recommend.

No, but I'm always looking for my next read and that's right up my alley

Finally have caught up after about 5 months of on-off reading to chapter 97 of Deathworlders. One more chapter to go, as yet unreleased. What a fucking ride it's been.

Back
Top Bottom