• Posting this again since Readout asked about it today - the Train Graveyard is hidden for everyone, including admin, to clean up the front page of this forum. If you want access to see old threads you can be added.

What Are You Reading?

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Because this thread has been mine through several iterations even if it's not particularly active at the moment.

Anyway, I'm still of Lord of the Rings. I know it's been 20 years since I last read it but I also happen to know and understand the legendarium much better now, it's amazing to notice and understand so much more.

MotherKat

Cookie monster
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Currently reading the Cradle series by Will Wight. It's pretty decent.

I really should post here more; I'm always reading.

Silencer

Ascended
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Right now I’m reading The Complete Rigger’s Apprentice (Second Edition) by Brion Toss.

It’s a mix of useful and interesting with helpful diagrams for tying various knots and rigs.

Tarnagh

Eldest
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Finally finishing the Iron Druid series. Late to that particular party, I know, but we've been putting off new book purchases forever. Just finally said fuck it, let's start filling in the end gaps on all the series' we had still unfinished.

Next one will be the Sandman Slim series, but that's probably going to be a bit longer since income is still a thing until we get DH's unemployment sorted.

We had already filled in the last bit of the Phule's Company series and the House of Night series (don't judge, YA fiction is one of my guilty pleasures, and this is really quite good as far as that genre goes).

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Oh it's been so long since I read an Iron Druid book I don't know if I would even be able to pick it up again.

Tarnagh

Eldest
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Oh it's been so long since I read an Iron Druid book I don't know if I would even be able to pick it up again.
The story is pretty great, but we never did get the last three books of the series.

We spent a few years in mourning for the loss of our local book store and the guy who ran it. He went out of business several years ago but it took us a long time to just finally admit that if we want books now we're going to have to deal with either big box stores or Amazon - the things that put him out of business in the first place. :frown:

We've just gotten to the point where we're filling in all those old gaps.

Sentynel

Ascended
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I have just read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir and thought both were brilliant.

witsd

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Read the Night Circus on a train to Durham a couple of years ago, and I absolutely concur.

*McKay*

Grand Master
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Why do so many people go gaga over Heathcliff? He's a terrible person.

Ashling

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I know it's been a week since the Iron Druid series was spoken of but I went from that to the new series that Kevin Hearne is writing and I actually think it's a better series.
The Seven Kennings. Only two books in but the third is being released some time this year.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
A friend offered me a copy of Paradise Lost so I started that this evening, by which I mean I read the 34 page essay masquerading as an introduction. But it's midnight now so I should probably wait for another day before attempting the actual poem.

But hey, I've read both The Odyssey and The Aeniad so I'm not really expecting to be out of my depth here.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Holy crap I had completely forgotten that Tolkien lets you think that Pippin died at the battle of the Black Gates for multiple chapters. What an absolute psychopath.

As an important side note, one thing the book does which the films (understandably) don't do is that it mostly tells the story from the perspective of the Hobbits which I had also forgotten. The only time it really steps away from this is when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are chasing Merry and Pippin.

Readout

Leader of the Resistance in Government
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I'm 69% of the way through the second Expanse book and really enjoying it. Thoroughly recommended.

MotherKat

Cookie monster
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Very disappointed that He Who Fights with Monsters is not yet complete. It is pretty good thought.

Started re-reading the Dresden Files. Kinda forgot how much I love Harry.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I've been wanting something to read after Wheel of Time killed my joy in the written world and since I've been watching the Droupout show Um, Actually they keep mentioning Earthsea and I've been meaning to read it forever.

Anyway, the first four books were the cost of one book so why not.

Readout

Leader of the Resistance in Government
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I've been wanting something to read after Wheel of Time killed my joy in the written world and since I've been watching the Droupout show Um, Actually they keep mentioning Earthsea and I've been meaning to read it forever.

Anyway, the first four books were the cost of one book so why not.

Good choice. The first two in particular are just so, so good.

I'm still reading The Expanse series, currently on Book 6 and excited to hit unadapted (and therefore new to me) material with the next one.

witsd

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I finished the third Earthsea book and then lost the book... I know its in the house somewhere

But yes, they were very good.

Top Bottom