• Posting this again since Readout asked about it today - the Train Graveyard is hidden for everyone, including admin, to clean up the front page of this forum. If you want access to see old threads you can be added.

Anime/Manga Thread 2.0 - You can (not) shower

Dace

Supporter of the Robot Revolution
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Since Gundam won't have a new episode this week you thought you would be spared. Alas, the official site released a (officially) translated copy of the short story that takes place between the prologue and the first episode. It is from the perspective of Aerial which is sentient which has led to a lot of theories and speculation especially as of episode 6. Nothing really changed from the fan translation but the use of certain words and phrasing makes certain speculation... interesting.

Oh, also Slime season 3 shouldn't be a shock but here it is officially:

Here is the link for the above autoembedded media.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I finally got a Chromecast so I can now watch HiDive. So yes, this means I will watch Akiba Maid War for you Face, but I now have a huge backlog to deal with for all the shows that I've not been able to watch.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I will watch Akiba Maid War for you Face
I know I've been pushy but did you have to be so mean about it?

Anyway, read the first chapter of a new manga called The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins. Really great start and intriguing premise with lots of theories abound. It is from the same author as Tokopi's Original Sin which is infamous for a pretty brutal panel in the first chapter. It is in Shonen Jump rather than Jump+ so it might not be as brutal or depressing as most of Tokopi was... but then again, there was stuff like Death Note and Chainsaw Man so maybe they'll allow for it.
1668456152322.png

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Autocorrect is a cruel mistress.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I want it for the record that my laugh reaction was for me calling Dace by the wrong word because after reading the first chapter of The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins I went and opened the spoiler and oof.

Solo Wing

The Vegemite Herald
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I didn't actually open the spoiler, and yeah, wow, oof.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
After all the headaches I have had trying to find a way to watch shows on HiDive on my TV it is now an annoying extra problem that of all the services I have tested, only HiDive has issues with Chromecast.

Everything else streams with no issue but HiDive suffers from buffering issues, the quality keeps dropping from high to low and it stutters every time it does this. I can't even let it sit for a few minutes to buffer as this doesn't seem to make any difference.

They are honestly a kind of shitty service.

Solo Wing

The Vegemite Herald
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Sounds similar to Funimation (at least in Australia). AnimeLab was a perfectly good streaming platform: good UI, OP/ED skip function, always smooth and generally very few issues.

Meanwhile, Funimation is just laggy in general: the UI, the delay between 'start episode' and the episode actually starting, skipping forward to manually skip OP/EDs sometimes requires buffering, and for some reason while Chromecast it will just... stop after a while, I think an hour or so. Their app also has so many general issues and mistakes: I was rewatching KonoSuba with my partner and S2E1 was actually S2E2, and when clicking on S2E2 it played S2E1... not to mention that after that, S2E3 just... didn't have subtitles. At all. I had to listen to English audio for the first time in years, and god it hurts.

Crunchyroll is still decent (though lacks an OP/ED skip function), but god, AnimeLab was just so good and I fucking hate corporations for taking perfectly good infrastructure and scrapping it because they think theirs is an acceptable alternative.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I was really tempted to just put "G-Witch update: Uh-oh" and leave it at that but I will say things are getting very spicy. So much happened in this episode despite it being ostensibly a lighter non-battle episode. One of the voice actors also said during the break last week that Suletta's light-hearted school life was going to come to an end soon which... ? I know we've only seen the interesting stuff happening in her life and haven't really seen any of the schooling but... refer to "Uh-oh." So much good stuff so far. Even a minor little plot speculation I had was shown to be wrong but that was because I overlooked the color choice.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
If you're going to keep on going on about G-Witch then I'm going to keep going on about Bocchi The Rock, definitely my favourite show this season. Obviously K-On! is one of my favourites of all time so I'm biased about band anime but Bocchi The Rock is genuinely very good. More music focused than K-On! and it makes me laugh, I really enjoy it.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
That's fine. I've seen some clips from it and another place I hang out online has been talking about it almost constantly. I will say though, the other half of the anime discussion there has been G Witch and quite a few of those people there were convinced to start watching even though they weren't Gundam/mecha fans (it is many people's first Gundam series) and they have been bewitched super invested. I mean it still has time to mess up especially since it is a split cour so plenty of episodes left but so far it has been unequivocally good not just for Gundam, not just as an anime, but good as a show period.

Also, I do plan on watching Bocchi here when I am on vacation in less than a week.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Something that slipped under my radar because it was on Disney+ was The Tatami Time Machine Blues which is essentially the exact same vibe and style of the film Night is Short, Walk On Girl.

The film itself is fantastic and I highly recommend it so it's good to see something similar be made in to a show because having a completely different aesthetic in animation and storytelling is always refreshing.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
The most lowkey episode so far in G Witch because it was all business talk and maneuvering setting up the final conflict of the cour. Still gives us nuggets of info for theories though which led to this amusing observation in a discord server I'm part of:

1669571889182.png

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
So, it looks like Disney is going to be making Anime now.

At the start of a splashy Asia-Pacific content showcase held in Singapore Wednesday, The Walt Disney Company revealed that it is expanding its long-running partnership with Japanese publishing powerhouse Kodansha to co-produce a growing slate of anime originals for the Disney+ streaming service.

The expanded collaboration also will include licensing exclusive anime titles based on manga produced by Kodansha, starting with Tokyo Revengers: Christmas Showdown Arc, which will launch exclusively on Disney+ and Disney+ Hotstar in January 2023.

“We are thrilled to deepen our strategic collaboration with our long standing partner Kodansha on such an exciting genre,” said Carol Choi, Disney’s executive vp of original content strategy in APAC. “Japanese anime fills the white space in our content development plans and we believe this expanded collaboration will be a game changer in Disney’s future animation strategy in Japan. We look forward to bringing the anime titles and prized IP by Kodansha to the world stage.”

As with competitors like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, Japanese anime, along with Korean drama content, has been a pillar of Disney’s original content strategy as the company seeks to expand its subscriber reach across the growing Asia-Pacific region.

According to consultancy Parrot Analytics, global demand for anime content grew 118 percent over the past two years, making it one of the fastest-growing content genres throughout the pandemic (the firm measures its demand metric by combining consumption data with social media activity, social video and independent research).

Disney revealed in Singapore Wednesday that total hours of locally-produced Asian content streamed on Disney+ is now eight times more than it was just a year ago.

Over the last year, over 45 new APAC titles have launched on Disney’s streaming service. Shows like Big Mouth, Soundtrack #1 and IN THE SOOP: Friendcation were among the top three most watched titles in the majority of APAC markets in their premiere week, Disney says.

Kodansha is globally known as the licensor of some of the world’s most iconic manga IP, including titles like AKIRA, Attack on Titan and Ghost in the Shell. Disney’s partnerships with the firm stretches back to 1950, when Kodansha first publish a manga art book with Mickey Mouse, Pluto Pup, Donald Duck and Seven Dwarfs in the “Disney’s Manga Ehon” series. Kodansha continues to publish Disney’s monthly Japanese magazine, Disney Fan, now in its 32nd year, as well as art and picture books for its other franchise releases in the market.

“We are focusing our content development on what we refer to as our content whitespace,” said Luke Kang, Disney’s president of APAC in his opening remarks in Singapore. “Investing in areas that require more local specificity – either due to high popularity in select markets, like Japanese anime, K-dramas or Indonesia rom-coms and horror, or the need for local storytelling with talent that are familiar to our local audiences.”

Disney is showcasing over 50 shows from its 2023 theatrical and streaming content slate during its two-day event in Singapore. Some of the talent in attendance on Wednesday includes Japanese director Miike Takashi, Korean stars Jung Haein, Ko Kyungpyo and Kim Hyejun from the crime fantasy thriller Connect; Lee Donghwi, Heo Sungtae and director Kang Yunsung from Big Bet; Yuya Yagira, Riho Yoshioka and director Shinzo Katayama from Japanese drama series Gannibal; and Chelsea Islan from the upcoming Indonesian super hero series Tira. Pixar’s Peter Sohn, director of the original feature, Elemental, will also be at the event.

Here is some of the Anime stuff Disney is working on:

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
So I watched Bocchi the Rock like I said I would and it was great just like I heard. I am disappointed in how little I heard about Starry's manager since she is the actual MVP. I was also worried that how great Bocchi is that it would distract me from G Witch this week or lessen it's impact.

Holy shit that was not the case. Absolutely fantastic episode. Great bits for the characters, the action was good, and we finally get a hint at something from the prologue episode which puts my theories on shakier ground. With the framing of and timing of certain aspects, it definitely makes one theory more likely and I am already wishing the next episode was out. I haven't felt this way about a show in probably a decade.

Oh, also the music bomb:

Last edited:

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I finally caught up on Danmachi and this last arc has been awesome. The show has usually been around my limit for anime bullshit and I have to say that the current season has been even better in that regard. It ended on a great cliffhanger and resumes in a few weeks.

The ED was cringe though.

Tallgeeselll05

Straight outa Sekigahara
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I watched the new Fairy Tail movie Dragon Cry annnnnnnd they fan serviced the shit out of it.

Both Erza and Lucy were tuned thicc.

Solo Wing

The Vegemite Herald
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
In no particular order:
  • Nagatoro-san 2: I dunno if I liked it enough to watch a second season, but we'll see.
  • Bofuri 2: Yes please.
  • In;Spectre 2: Again not sure if I liked the first season enough, but we'll see.
  • Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko: I've seen a lot of ads for this so it's got me interested but will wait and see what the consensus is after a few weeks.
  • Otonari no Tenshi-sama: The premise sounds as generic as a premise could get, but hey, in simplicity sometimes there is value. Will keep an eye on it.
  • Slime Tamer 2: Yes please.
There's a few more there that caught my eye... but I'm flat out watching what I want to watch these days.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Okay here we go:

• The Misfit at the Demon King Academy: I was not expecting a 2nd season for this and I am happily pleased. It's dumb but I love it.
  • To your Eternity: Yes please more please, good stuff.
  • Danmachi: As I said the other day, this season was so good.
  • Nagatoro: I enjoy it a lot, it's a good time.
  • In/Spectre: Again, I was not expecting this and I really enjoyed the first season, very happy to have more. It's slow paced but the characters are genuinely likeable.
  • NieR Automata: I was always going to watch this, but I'm also very curious to see what they will add and change. And I wouldn't be surprised if it does some very different things to the game which is also still canon because Yoko Taro is a madman.
  • Tomo-chan is a girl!: Happy to see this get an adaption, the manga finished years ago at this point so I have to wonder what took so long. it's a fun romcom, the manga was one of those was updated one page at a time.
  • Trigun Stampede: I hope it will be as good as everyone remembers the original and not how the original actually was and aged.
  • Tsurune: I don't think that Tsurune was the most interesting of KyoAni's series but I will absolutely still enjoy it.
There's also a few other fantasy/spy/thriller things on the list that could be interesting but my list is already so full so I'll keep an eye on what gets people's attention.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
  • Bofuri/Misift of Demon King Academy - Silver Link doing 2 shows this season has me worried since they were my two favorite shows that year so I hope resources weren't spread too thin. That said, I'm pretty sure one or both were delayed so hopefully any production issues were worked out.
  • Danmachi - I either didn't know or forgot it was split cour so super pumped to get more. I think I liked season 3 best so far but I definitely liked the way it has been going
  • Tsurune - I didn't even know this was going to air but I maintain KyoAni hasn't made a bad show (Myriad Colors Phantom World came close) so I will definitely watch it
  • In/Spectre - season 1 was alright. Enough to keep me interested at least
  • Trigun Stampede - it still looks off but if anyone can do a good CG version, it would be studio Orange
  • Ayakashi Traingle - I had been reading the manga until they moved it off Shonen Jump. It is Ranma 1/2 with the ecchi of To Love Ru (same artist as To Love Ru) so, in the wise words of Gigguk, "Anime is trash... and so am I"
  • Reborn to Master the Blade - Okay, I see roughly 6582 fantasy anime this season. A couple interest me but this one looked best
  • Pokemon - The end of an era. As has been joked about, Ash is retiring at 10 years old after a 25 year career. Supposedly he'll be checking in on his old pokemon so we'll get to see Primeape, Pidgeot, and Butterfree again.
1671219205163.png

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
The new pokemon protagonists after Ash have been revealed and apparently the staff also like the new Gundam:
1671232470974.png

Also, the girl's hair clip being similar to Ash's original hat design, the fact she's from Kanto, good at battling, and doesn't give out her family name (nor talk about her family in general) has people going wild thinking she is actually Ash's kid.

Solo Wing

The Vegemite Herald
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
  • Slime Tamer 2: Yes please.
I just saw an ad for this on Facebook and realised while 'Slime Tamer' is correct as far as a 2-word synopsis goes, the show is called 'By the Grace of the Gods' and I was very confused how I'd missed it last night.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Apparently

There's a new Lupin series that's supposed to be an origins series.

Gonna have to give that a spin.

My backlog of things on HiDive is still massive but now that I'm done with DanMachi I'll be on to the latest Lupin. They also have A Woman Named Fujiko Mine on there which I haven't seen for 10 years but it was a wild and crazy gonzo ride if you haven't seen it.

Top Bottom