• Posting this again since Readout asked about it today - the Train Graveyard is hidden for everyone, including admin, to clean up the front page of this forum. If you want access to see old threads you can be added.

Anime/Manga Thread 2.0 - You can (not) shower

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I can feel the glare of Readout so I'm going to say that it's something we probably shouldn't openly discuss some of the options.

In terms of legal options you have viz.com or their app for Shonen Jump, that's a good selection of official manga. Crunchyroll have some stuff but it's not a great selection, I use their app for that.

Readout

Leader of the Resistance in Government
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
INKR apparently have legal chihayafuru, so I'll be trying them out soon.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I've never really looked at INKR before and while it has a couple of things that I couldn't find legally elsewhere, (seriously, a couple, I looked through their entire list of manga (manhua are 99% atrocious so it's not worth the time looking)) I absolutely hate their monetisation system.

In other news, I wasn't expecting Lycoris Recoil to take the turn that it has. There is probably going to be crying. Lots of crying.

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points

Here is the link for the above autoembedded media.

Welcome to Night City, where chrome exceeds the flesh.

Find out what it means to be an edgerunner from Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, coming to Netflix in September 2022!

ABOUT CYBERPUNK: EDGERUNNERS

The series tells a standalone, 10-episode story about a street kid trying to survive in Night City — a technology and body modification-obsessed city of the future. Having everything to lose, he stays alive by becoming an edgerunner — a mercenary outlaw also known as a cyberpunk.

Don’t watch this at work. Don’t go Cyberpsycho. See you September 13.

Dace

Supporter of the Robot Revolution
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I still don't like double posting so I was waiting to post that trailer. 1000 times better than the first one. Looks like Mardock Scramble was made by Trigger but the thing that really stood out was the music/sound design. Absolutely fantastic.

In other news, I finally finished Re:zero season 2. It was alright. Despite Subaru being less insufferable, I think I still liked season 1 better.

Tallgeeselll05

Straight outa Sekigahara
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I watched When Marnie Was There.

Cute lil Ghibli movie.

Last edited:

Readout

Leader of the Resistance in Government
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I really want Taichi and Suo to end up together.

Also, I'm definitely not going to be able to stop when the anime runs out.

Damn you, @Kris.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
The best thing is knowing how everything ends and feeling very smug about this knowledge.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
RWBY:IQ ended and, like the original show, it had a strong start with the choreography but went off the rails due to production issues and a lackluster story not living up to the interesting premise. Shaft has been known to do some major cleanup on the blu-rays so we'll see if they do some fixes like they did with Madoka and Bakemonogatari to bring it up. Also, not sure how to feel about them animating most of the food fight and including a stupid Barbara pun but not Nora's trying to blame it on Ren or her "I'm Queen of the castle" callback.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I genuinely don't understand why they made it a Rwby show when they were going to do a completely different thing anyway.

It was weird, the characters didn't feel right or look correct. Their designs work in 3D but when done by an actual anime studio they very much felt like something done by someone trying to emulate an anime aesthetic rather than something done from the ground up by a studio's character designer.

And I don't mean to bash on Monty Oum, like I said it works in the original show.

Solo Wing

The Vegemite Herald
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I haven't actually started RWBY... and this feedback is definitely affecting my enthusiasm. Would you recommend it to a fan of the series?

Also, the reason I've fallen off the seasonals wagon - apart from the fact that chat all is out these last few seasons - is because I spend most of my 'watching' time catching my partner up on anything and everything I've ever enjoyed. At the start I was picking and choosing, but eventually I decided to just to A-Z through my list on Anime Planet and cherry pick shows to watch.

Right now we're on Steins;Gate and just got the getting back across the 1% divergence line... I still cry.

Last edited:

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I genuinely don't understand why they made it a Rwby show when they were going to do a completely different thing anyway.

It was weird, the characters didn't feel right or look correct. Their designs work in 3D but when done by an actual anime studio they very much felt like something done by someone trying to emulate an anime aesthetic rather than something done from the ground up by a studio's character designer.
I mean, it is essentially professional (and maybe official) filler episodes. Set between a time period not explored in the original work. Pretty common to do really.

As for the characters, I thought they were fine. Having seen characters change designers and productions before, it seemed reasonable to me. Same with the animation... at first. RWBY is pretty stiff and jank in season 1 and 2 when not animated by Monty which worked with an anime especially when the fight scenes kick it into high gear but when it went back to normal anime fight scenes, yeah there was no comparison.

I haven't actually started RWBY... and this feedback is definitely affecting my enthusiasm. Would you recommend it to a fan of the series?
I would definitely recommend the first 2 episodes and the last 5 minutes of 12... Can't say much else. If you like Weiss, it could be interesting to see how she opened up a little bit in the beginning. From what quite a few fans have said, it didn't do the characters justice but I only watched the first 3 (maybe 4?) seasons and they seemed pretty in line with what I remember. Although maybe they were talking about the Schnees because I don't even think I knew Weiss had a brother...

Overall, I didn't think it was bad but just lackluster. The first 2 episode fights really set it up for disappointment.

Seige

One of those days Champion 07/10/2016
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Loving Cyberpunk Edgerunners so far, I am 4 or 5 episodes in.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Overlord has been pretty fun this season and with 1 episode left, I'm sad it is almost over. I rewatched all the old seasons before this to remind myself of certain aspects. Season 3's terrible CGI and lower general production quality definitely played bigger in my mind since while watching I was enjoying the story and characters no problem. It was never a good looking show but I'm glad season 4 has brought the production back up. Also, I was reminded that one of the reasons I watched The Saga of Tanya the Evil was now I have all the shows for Isekai Quartet... at least season 1. Still have to watch Cautious Hero before season 2.

Anyway, on the lighter side of OP protagonists, Bofuri season 2 finally gets an update!

On the more degenerate side of things, I got reminded of Kiss x Sis recently and read the end of the manga since it finally finished this year. Hoo boy. I wasn't sure how it was going to end but regular (non-penetrative) orgies with the 2 [step]sisters and Mikuni (originally the most well adjusted girl) of the 5 potential choices was not what I had in mind.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Spy x Family for obvious reasons
Chainsaw Man for obvious reasons
Gundam: The Witch from Mercury for obvious reasons
Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! because it looks to be pretty generic isekai and I want some good ol' trash
Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita because it is the isekai that could have potential

May also check Urusei Yatsura because it has been a long time since I saw anything from Rumiko Takahashi.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I'll get to the new chart tomorrow but nothing there interests me that I'm not already familiar with.

Anyway, I watched the first two episodes of Cyberpunk Edgerunner. It is seriously good yet depressing, but I must say I love how well they have matched the show to the game, using actual Night City locations from 2077 is really well done.

I can see why people are picking up the game again and I can't blame them.

Solo Wing

The Vegemite Herald
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Finished the rewatch of Steins;Gate season 1.

I'm dreading the movie. My memories of it are so sad.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I'm actually surprised you could go back to Steins;Gate, the last time there was a new season I watched because I was already interested but I found that I really didn't like the characters. They are very hard on the caricature aspect in a way that doesn't feel like they are real people, I'm just saying it took me out of the drama, a lot.

Which I have to stress, I really liked the last season as it focused on Okarin dying with guilt on the choices that he had to make, that's good writing! But only because he has moved beyond his silly character and evolved, every other character feels as flat as ever.

Solo Wing

The Vegemite Herald
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I don't really have an issue with any of the characters. I think all of them are just very eccentric, but those eccentricities are never really the focus of the story.

E.T.

Ascended
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Edgerunners are done: depressingly beautiful story. Halfway through I figured how it's gonna end and it still made me sad.

Now I'm waiting for the last episode of Overlord to come out so I can binge the season. :grin:

Seige

One of those days Champion 07/10/2016
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I am glad that at least one of them got their dream at the end, however sad it was.

Edited for bad spelling.

Last edited:

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Of all the things to be reminded of in Overlord's finale, Dance with Devils was not it.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Okay. Finally got to watch Macross Delta second movie. Quite good especially with the old references. Hated the ending though. Partially because it was super predictable (telegraphed so much I could see it over the horizon) but also because it made me sad. I was not in the mood to feel feelings.

Oh, and Makoto Shinkai has a new movie coming out. Needless to say, it is the prettiest movie ever animated.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
My daughter got me started on spy x family. It's not bad
Just "not bad" or has your view improved after watching more episodes? Since mine did.

It has also continued with part 2's first episode. Can't wait for next week's episode.

Tallgeeselll05

Straight outa Sekigahara
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I love Spy x Family, and they should've released both parts today. Not fair to make us wait that episode was good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom