• Posting this again since Readout asked about it today - the Train Graveyard is hidden for everyone, including admin, to clean up the front page of this forum. If you want access to see old threads you can be added.

Anime/Manga Thread 2.0 - You can (not) shower

Krafty

Actually never smiling
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Uncle From Another World on Netflix is so dumb it's hilarious.

It's a shame the decided to release an episode a week.

Player #7

Missing Link Legend
Reaction Score
Trophy Points

Here is the link for the above autoembedded media.

Welcome to Night City, where chrome exceeds the flesh.

Find out what it means to be an edgerunner from Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, coming to Netflix in September 2022!

ABOUT CYBERPUNK: EDGERUNNERS

The series tells a standalone, 10-episode story about a street kid trying to survive in Night City — a technology and body modification-obsessed city of the future. Having everything to lose, he stays alive by becoming an edgerunner — a mercenary outlaw also known as a cyberpunk.

E.T.

Ascended
Reaction Score
Trophy Points

Here is the link for the above autoembedded media.

Welcome to Night City, where chrome exceeds the flesh.

Find out what it means to be an edgerunner from Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, coming to Netflix in September 2022!

ABOUT CYBERPUNK: EDGERUNNERS

The series tells a standalone, 10-episode story about a street kid trying to survive in Night City — a technology and body modification-obsessed city of the future. Having everything to lose, he stays alive by becoming an edgerunner — a mercenary outlaw also known as a cyberpunk.

I think this is the only anime where I would be watching English dub. Japanese just seems too off for something taking place in North America.

Solo Wing

The Vegemite Herald
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Even if the cyberpunk genre itself revolves heavily around asian influences?

Not even just Cyberpunk itself; when I imagine things like Blade Runner and the like, one of the first things that comes to mind is bright neon asian signs and street food.

E.T.

Ascended
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Even if the cyberpunk genre itself revolves heavily around asian influences?

Not even just Cyberpunk itself; when I imagine things like Blade Runner and the like, one of the first things that comes to mind is bright neon asian signs and street food.
Asian signs in non-Asian countries is what makes it interesting and exotic. Sort of like seeing a Coca-Cola fridge in the middle of Africa. If Blade Runner was an anime with Japanese VO it would be hard to tell if it's Los Angeles or Tokyo because you would have Japanese speaking people surrounded by Asian/Japanese culture.

I watched Cowboy Bebop in Japanese because the whole "living in outer space" thing makes it ambiguous what is the main language of the world and the show makes it extra clear that there is no dominant language with signage in Japanese/Chinese, English, Spanish, Russian and Arabic. And I also think it sounds better (and also lip-syncs better, but that's beside the point). But CP anime has so many English words and phrases in the dialogs (even in that short trailer) that it just sounds bad.

Last edited:

Dace

Supporter of the Robot Revolution
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
So Baccano is a must watch in English then?

Unrelated, used some of my family vacation to watch the Saga of Tanya the Evil. Not sure quite what I was expecting but it wasn't quite that. Very strange vibe from an isekai even compared to other evil MC isekai like Overlord. Like it is obviously Nazi Germany parallel but they maintain some ambiguity at first as to whether the empire is actually just defending their territory or it is propaganda. Also, Tanya is obviously a piece of shit but is a fun character who want to live her life in peace but keeps getting jerked around by God/Being X. Overall, decent time waster. Some pretty cool combat too but, and it pains me to say this, I think Strike Witches did the aerial combat of airplane-analogous magic users better. Obviously animated better in Tanya but more care was put into the choreography and "realism" in Strike Witches (I can't believe I just typed that sentence).

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I mean, I have only ever watched Baccano as a dub, it's one of the few exceptions I make.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I have tried everything I can think of I have no sane way to watch things on HiDive. I thought about buying a raspberry pi so I could watch things that way but no there has been a severe shortage of stock for the last year so I can't buy one and I don't want to repurpose my retro gaming one.

I even tried an... "Extra legal" option but the subtitles were a mess.

I am exhausted, Sony buying CR was clearly going to lead to these kind of problems.

Readout

Leader of the Resistance in Government
Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I have tried everything I can think of I have no sane way to watch things on HiDive. I thought about buying a raspberry pi so I could watch things that way but no there has been a severe shortage of stock for the last year so I can't buy one and I don't want to repurpose my retro gaming one.
Why would you need to buy a Pi for that? So you can output to the TV, or?

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
It would just be nice to have another pi in general but this would be a use.

My pc and TV are in opposite ends of the house so I can't connect them directly and I don't own anything like a laptop.

As I complained about before, the only option is getting a chromecast but it feels stupid to buy one when I don't need 95% of its functions.

Seige

One of those days Champion 07/10/2016
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Started watching Uma Musume Pretty Derby, so many shows that are distracting me from finishing the 2nd season of Fire Force ( I am roughly 50% thru Fire Force S2 ).

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
MHA manga has been putting up a lot of death flags lately and there has been speculation on who was getting the axe. Assuming they don't do a psych out, I would be incredibly impressed if the person in the latest chapter actually does. Still expecting a fake-out or some miraculous save/revival but hot damn if they keep it, it would give some weight to the final showdown and actually subvert 99.9% of shonen.

Speaking of most shonen, Kaiju No 8 is getting an anime adaptation like I said was going to happen a year or however long ago. Unfortunately, it has fallen off a bit after the real cool initial setup to be a more traditional fare. That said, I hear the people who binge read it enjoy it a lot more so maybe when it gets the anime, it'll reinvigorate it.

RWBY also was super disappointing this week. Apparently the episode was done by another company and boy does it show.

Readout

Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
In today's episode of Chihayafuru, we learned that racism is bad and that you don't have to have Japanese ancestry to enjoy a really stupid game about memorising poems.

But also that people who aren't genetically Japanese are still foreigners that should be judged and treated like a spectacle, even if they were born in Japan, have lived there for their entire lives, can only speak Japanese and are fully immersed in Japanese culture.

What a lovely moral.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Slowly but surely Japan is getting less racist but yeah, they are definitely behind the rest of the developed nations in this.

Isolationism and a homogenous society has issues, who would have thought?

Readout

Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Every time I start watching things on Crunchyroll, I remember how awful and annoying their approach to adverts is.

It's got to the point where I refuse to pay for a subscription out of spite.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I don't have many subscriptions so I've always paid for it but I could easily imagine that it's some of the worst.

Solo Wing

The Vegemite Herald
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Could be Paramount+ that still has ads even if you've subscribed.

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Through a rapid-fire weeb-centric conversation with a co-worker, I wound up down the rabbit hole of re-watching Hellsing. A lot of it still holds up as good, but I've found myself noticing a bit of jumping around and leaving it to the viewer to assume some things. Plus the ending just seems like a bit of a "fuck you" to the viewer, whereas they could've probably expanded it out...but I'm guessing there's a reason behind that. I might give Hellsing Ultimate another watch just for science, but next up is either seeing if I can get through Inuyasha to see if I wanna care about the new stuff coming out, or maybe staying in my retro hermit cave.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
And there it is, the final chapter of Chihayafuru.

So many emotions, but this feeling is why I ended up falling in love with anime and manga.

Dace

Reaction Score
Trophy Points
JC Staff can really bring it when they aren't animating 5 shows a season killing their animators. Danmachi hasn't had the draw of the previous seasons so far with this arc but it was cool to see Bell be a leader and confident. Plus, Heroic Desire returning is great since it is the superior You Say Run.

Speaking of JC Staff's prior disappointments, One Punch Man season 3 has been announced. Not sure if JC Staff will be behind it again though. Additionally, the arc of the manga just finished up and will go on hiatus for a month. Murata definitely deserves some rest after all that glorious art.

Made in Abyss... I haven't really cared too much. Like, after what happened last season, the suspension broke for me so there is no tension so now it is pretty much Saw and other shock horror/gorn media. That said, the official twitter account put out a tweet before the episode saying it was really warm so people should stay hydrated which is pretty amusing.

Solo Wing

The Vegemite Herald
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I'm showing my partner Shirobako and it's really reminding me how fucked the industry is.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Made in Abyss... I haven't really cared too much. Like, after what happened last season, the suspension broke for me so there is no tension so now it is pretty much Saw and other shock horror/gorn media. That said, the official twitter account put out a tweet before the episode saying it was really warm so people should stay hydrated which is pretty amusing.

That arc is a weird one, like just conceptually it's a strange idea. I think the author wanted a palette cleanser rather than to keep ramping the tension after Bonedrewd.

But the manga seems to now be back on track again so I wouldn't worry too much.

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Tsurune is getting a second season next year.

Readout

Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Having just finished series 2 of Chihayafuru, I have to ask - Kris, did you read the manga in a way that was

Download.jpg

or a way that was

230114_908223010.png

?

Kris

Deliciously British
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
I don't care what your opinion is I loved every second of it even if it does go the way you expect it to.

Readout

Administrator
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
It has a love triangle that doesn't have a clearly right answer.

I don't think this has ever happened to me before.

I have to know.

Seige

One of those days Champion 07/10/2016
Reaction Score
Trophy Points
Hey guys what is a good manga site to start with?

Top Bottom