• Site Update Notice - See Details Here: https://thewaterheater.net/forum/threads/3596/

Emotionally Bob Ross

Given all the nightmare stories I have heard around US postal deliveries and the fact that they just leave shit outside for everyone to see, I would literally never order anything to be delivered to my house.

Given all the nightmare stories I have heard around US postal deliveries and the fact that they just leave shit outside for everyone to see, I would literally never order anything to be delivered to my house.
The USPIS (yes that's their acronym, yes Brooklyn 99 has a funny episode about it) is *very* serious about their job and quite good at it. They also send out a monthly magazine detailing all of their busts to all employees to be like "don't fuck around, we will find out".

UPS is pretty decent. I trust them to deliver my stuff.

FedEx is a pile of shit and I wouldn't trust them with an empty bag.
At least not something like a PS5.
I work from home and I live in a small town. No one ever touches my stuff on my porch and my dog alerts me to deliveries anyway. Sometimes we have to sign and god if that's not the most annoying fucking thing.

My girlfriend's sister lives in a busy neighborhood and got her brand new phone stolen 2 or 3 times before she got home to grab it. You'd think after the first time the delivery company would make you pick it up but hey if they want to eat that cost, whatever.

All is well. My PS5 is already ready for pickup. Lol. What a weird day.

Thankfully my house is off-street, so most of the time deliveries are left in a safe place well out of sight and there's been no issue yet.

My mom just called. She got a tumor in her kidney, so one of them is going to be removed. She was lucky this got recognized early by coincidence, and there are no other issues from this, but... yeah this is still shit.

Last edited:
My mom just called. She got a tumor in her kidney, so one of them is going to be removed. She was lucky this got recognized early by coincidence, and there are no other issues from this, but... yeah this is still shit.

Shit but also fantastic. Try to focus on the positive here, and to be clear, it is a big positive.
Yeah, for the record, my "sad" reaction was because you & your mom have to go through this at all. Finding it early like that is a 100% positive!

Unlikely though it was
Your beacon became my cause
Brighter than the stars and sun
Warp speed, engines hotly run

So through the black I went
Without hesitation, energy spent
And arrived to find the source
And into your orbit I stayed my course

But somewhere along the way
My inertia went astray
Love was so close and so clear
But I missed it by a lightyear

So I've been using this macbook for a few days now (document editing, internet browsing, Disney+, music, that sort of thing) and I have to admit that it's a lot better an experience than I was expecting.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of stuff is still stupid. Docks, for example, are still stupid, the fact that you can't command + tab between instances of programs (e.g. different Firefox or Safari windows) is stupid, and the fact that closing all of the relevant windows doesn't actually close the program is stupid. Finder's default settings are really, really stupid. I don't like that I can't upgrade to the latest version of OSX (the latest I can get is Big Sur), and I don't like that Firefox's video playback is just kind of crap so I pretty much have to use Safari.

But the window management? Not nearly as bad as I had always thought. The keyboard and mouse are very nice to type on. The screen is very good and so are the speakers. Even after all of these years, several of which it spent just flat, the battery can do pretty much a full day. The integration with modern apple devices (e.g. my iPad and the homepods that we have) works really well. It's all just very smooth and flows very nicely. There's a lot to like here.

So, after spending years pooping on OSX, I'm somewhat eating crow.

All of that being said, I still wouldn't buy a mac. I'm using it as a stand in for my Lenovo z580 laptop that (a) is two years older, and (b) was about a third of the price. So the fact that it feels like a very nice upgrade is hardly surprising.

I think it's targeted to a different clientele. My dad and my sister have to use Macbook for professional reasons because the best programs are for Apple products. But if you need a computer for writing, I think Apple sucks donkey balls. No Word + switching between my 10 000 open windows takes ages.

As for Word, maybe you like it, maybe you don't, but everyone else uses it, so you need word file format anyway.

the fact that you can't command + tab between instances of programs (e.g. different Firefox or Safari windows) is stupid,
Command+backtick switches between windows of the current app. You're welcome. My Mac experience got so much better when I figured that out.
But if you need a computer for writing, I think Apple sucks donkey balls. No Word + switching between my 10 000 open windows takes ages.

As for Word, maybe you like it, maybe you don't, but everyone else uses it, so you need word file format anyway.
MS Office has been available on Macs for years.

Command+backtick switches between windows of the current app. You're welcome. My Mac experience got so much better when I figured that out.

That is very useful, thank you.

But why separate it out?

Who knows. I guess I can see the advantages - it's probably faster to find a specific window if you have both many applications and many windows per application. But like a lot of stuff on Macs, I do sort of get the impression it's different for the sake of being different.

The pretentious price and lack of mainstream gaming support are my two reasons for not buying a Mac. Their hardware is phenomenal and battery life is unbelievably good. Their software is okay. But I'd gladly get one if I could buy one for less than the cost of enterprise hardware or the latest and greatest gaming rig.

God, my mental health is spiraling. I feel simultaneously like I'm sinking and like I'm stuck in place. There's so much going on, there's so much happening, and I feel like I'm both right in the middle of it and so far away from it that I'm completely disconnected. I got this week off work but I'm just unable to relax. I feel lonely but meeting my friends is pure stress right now, because noone has time anymore, it always has to be EVERYTHING with EVERYONE, or just meet for like 1 hour in a very specific timeframe and then try to cram every conversation they can think of between 2 cups of coffee. I just want to be... around someone I'm comfortable with for a while, just be and do nothing. And the thing is, I'm sure, no I KNOW that my friends would drop everything if I told them I needed them, but I DON'T because all I can think is they got so much to do right now that I don't want to interfere.

I have a functioning computer again! It feels like getting back a blanket.

Plus I'm only just realising how uncomfy it was to have been using a laptop the last 8 years!
Been thinking on this because I recently (as in, a few months back) bought a new PC for myself for the first time in... I don't want to say but definitely more than 8 years.

It's just funny how the brain works. In the time I had my old PC, I'd gotten a XB360, a PS4 and a PS5 but I couldn't make my brain justify buying a new PC because "eh, this one still works for what I need it to do."
My old tower still had a hole in it where originally an old floppy disc drive sat. It had a hodge podge of bits none of which originally came with the tower but were bits that used to be in my brother's PC, as he upgraded then so did I. The newest bit in it was a new HDD from about 5+ years ago when I finally upgraded from XP to Win7. It had a bandaid in it, holding onto some toothpicks, so a bit of plastic didn't rattle. But it worked. Somehow, that POS still worked.
Then I started getting boot up errors on the regular so I had to farewell it. I wish I'd taken pictures of it before we tossed it to the curb for garbage pick up (the tower, that is).

When my new PC arrived, I was scared to get it out the box and turn it on for the first time. No joke.

Been thinking on this because I recently (as in, a few months back) bought a new PC for myself for the first time in... I don't want to say but definitely more than 8 years.

It's just funny how the brain works. In the time I had my old PC, I'd gotten a XB360, a PS4 and a PS5 but I couldn't make my brain justify buying a new PC because "eh, this one still works for what I need it to do."
My old tower still had a hole in it where originally an old floppy disc drive sat. It had a hodge podge of bits none of which originally came with the tower but were bits that used to be in my brother's PC, as he upgraded then so did I. The newest bit in it was a new HDD from about 5+ years ago when I finally upgraded from XP to Win7. It had a bandaid in it, holding onto some toothpicks, so a bit of plastic didn't rattle. But it worked. Somehow, that POS still worked.
Then I started getting boot up errors on the regular so I had to farewell it. I wish I'd taken pictures of it before we tossed it to the curb for garbage pick up (the tower, that is).

When my new PC arrived, I was scared to get it out the box and turn it on for the first time. No joke.
I'll be honest, same. My new desktop arrived while I was at work, but I basically spent all afternoon procrastinating instead of setting it up.

Sometimes I think my PSU blowing when I was at uni genuinely traumatised me. :p

Side note: SSD only desktops are lovely, even if I miss the chirp.

I hope it's a light case and you feel better soon!

Luckily I should be better before my move next Saturday, unfortunately it's going to make getting things done that I had planned in the next few days an issue.

God, my mental health is spiraling. I feel simultaneously like I'm sinking and like I'm stuck in place. There's so much going on, there's so much happening, and I feel like I'm both right in the middle of it and so far away from it that I'm completely disconnected. I got this week off work but I'm just unable to relax. I feel lonely but meeting my friends is pure stress right now, because noone has time anymore, it always has to be EVERYTHING with EVERYONE, or just meet for like 1 hour in a very specific timeframe and then try to cram every conversation they can think of between 2 cups of coffee. I just want to be... around someone I'm comfortable with for a while, just be and do nothing. And the thing is, I'm sure, no I KNOW that my friends would drop everything if I told them I needed them, but I DON'T because all I can think is they got so much to do right now that I don't want to interfere.

what about calling them? People have time to talk while they do chores. and it allows for some private conversation

just call them out of the blue, with no warning, like a psychopath - that's always a fun thing to do. :grin:

Champagne problems: Our TV is finally on the wall, but it's a few centimetres higher than it was in the old house. My neck muscles are complaining about the new angle.

Bodies are stupid.

Champagne problems: Our TV is finally on the wall, but it's a few centimetres higher than it was in the old house. My neck muscles are complaining about the new angle.

Bodies are stupid.

I've never been a fan of wall mounted TVs because of this exact reason.

I've never been a fan of wall mounted TVs because of this exact reason.

I agree. I also think it looks stupid to have the TV just kind of hanging there, though apparently I'm not in the majority on that one.

But, and again this is a stupid "problem", our soundbar is so thick that we can't fit both it and the TV on the bestå at the same time. So it's either buy a wider cabinet or use a wall mount.

Back
Top Bottom